"Backyard Self Sufficiency" by Jackie French
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Moving on, I've read a few more chapters. Some I've dismissed as irrelevant - like all the different livestock you could keep - apart from the earthworms "which aren't cuddly". That amused me!!
One tip I may take up - basically, not to have bare soil. "When you pull something up, put something back in its place. If you've nothing ready to plant, put in quick growing radish seeds, then pull them up for mulch. This will not only save space, it will stop the bare soil from being damaged by wind and water, and it will stop weeds, which love to colonise bare soil. ".........and forget neat crop rotation and don't plant in neat rows (but I do these anyway).

I always have lots of self-seeded lettuce in the GH so they would be a good source of fill-in plants and can always feed the chooks if I don't want them. I thinking of the times when I pull a couple of leeks, leaving a gap that would be empty until all the leeks are finished.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Spec

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Backyard Self Sufficiency" by Jackie French - by Veggie - 12-02-2021, 10:11 PM