Soft fruit recommendations
doublyjonah Offline
Hello all!

I'm looking for some soft fruit recommendations. Anniversary gift for my partner, so trying to channel his preferences in my description.

We're on heavyish soil with some clay and some stones (though has been improved over the years) at the top of a very gently sloping site - not too exposed and windy but will probably get frost over the winter.

He was really impressed with a fruit that our plot neighbors grow - elongated, shiny, black fruit, must be a blackberry hybrid. Not sure what they were called though and never see our plot neighbors to ask! We have a boysenberry, some raspberries, and (unintentionally, of course) lots of wild blackberries. Any recommendations for one of the other blackberry hybrids?

Also, he rescued a white grape variety from a discount table at the garden centre. But it's actually a wine variety and that will be a totally new adventure for us (why not?! hate to see a plant go to waste). Any recommendations for an eating variety (any color) that will grow in Birmingham?

We also have black, white, and red currants, and strawberries (plus rhubarb and some fruit trees). He says he doesn't care for gooseberries. I'll probably buy some blueberry plants for my little one separately, which I'll need to care for in pots as our soil isn't acidic enough for them. Prefer something that can be planted in the ground. I think he'd also be interested in late-season strawberries. We're planning to get a fruit cage sorted for next year, so can be something that needs protection.

So, the short version: any suggestions for blackberry hybrids? eating grapes? late-season strawberries? any other must-grow soft fruits?

Thanks!
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man

Messages In This Thread
Soft fruit recommendations - by doublyjonah - 12-09-2020, 12:57 PM
RE: Soft fruit recommendations - by Veggie - 12-09-2020, 01:41 PM
RE: Soft fruit recommendations - by Mark_Riga - 12-09-2020, 11:01 PM
RE: Soft fruit recommendations - by Mikey - 13-09-2020, 07:25 AM
RE: Soft fruit recommendations - by doublyjonah - 13-09-2020, 11:04 AM
RE: Soft fruit recommendations - by Mikey - 13-09-2020, 08:01 AM
RE: Soft fruit recommendations - by doublyjonah - 13-09-2020, 11:00 AM
RE: Soft fruit recommendations - by Veggie - 13-09-2020, 12:18 PM