Poll: Your favourite story
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Small Chilli #2
7.69%
1 7.69%
JJB #3
0%
0 0%
Vinny #4
84.62%
11 84.62%
Veggie #5
7.69%
1 7.69%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The sun shone through the windows of the Splott Vaccination Centre painting squares on the polished wooden floor. Veggie had a childlike urge to play Hopscotch just to make people laugh, but, for once, thought better of it.  Her inner voice told her to "Sit down, shut up and don't make a fool of yourself!". Sounded just like my Mother and, as always, I did what she told me to do.

Its only 15 minutes, Veggie thought, 15 minutes of sitting on an uncomfortable plastic chair, it'll soon be over. She looked around the room at all the socially distanced people, sitting, staring, silent. How can so many people be so quiet? Some looked shyly at their distant neighbours, smiled, and looked away embarrassed. Surely smiling was allowed in this strange new world where everyday interaction between people had been banned. 

A quick check of the clock on the wall, 10 more minutes. Phew. All Veggie wanted to do was to go home to her garden and play in the sun but she had another 10 minutes of sitting and scheming. Her inner voice (Hi Mum) told her to stop fretting and count your blessings. Maybe she couldn't have a natter with the lady with the funny hat or the man with the baggy trousers but she could have a laugh with all her virtual friends in Garden & Gossip later. 

What would I have done throughout lockdown without G&G? she pondered. There was always somebody to chat too, compare gardening notes, ask advice - a community of like-minded people, friends, and knowledgeable, resourceful friends at that. Has a question ever been left unanswered? Nobody need GooGle when they have G&G. 
We've been together now for 3 years, amazing how 3 years can pass so quickly but 15 minutes can last for ever. Wait, its only 5 minutes now. 

Three years in which we've watched the building of Small Chilli and Bob's  wonderful home, Bradan, on the beautiful Isle of Mull with a little envy, not of the hard work but of the end result. Its incredible how much 2 people can do when they turn their minds and hands to it. We're all looking forward to the housewarming - as long as there's cake!

Speaking of cake, how about last Christmas, when Vinny lit up the skies with his flashing Fergie, that's his tractor in case you're wondering. Lots of twinkling lights and the reindeers had a sleepover on his allotment. Some people will do anything for a bit of reindeer poo to add to their compost heap.

Veggie checked her watch again - just one more minute until freedom. Dare I go now? Go on, said her inner rebel, nobody will notice you, and there's somebody at home who needs you.       
"You're right" muttered Veggie "I haven't given Mr Greedy a stir today or checked his temperature. Hope he's not chilly or overheating. How can he make Compost if he's cold?". 
Veggie rose surreptitiously to her feet hoping nobody was watching, the plastic chair clattered, she dropped her vaccination card and it seemed that all the room started chuckling. "Sorry Mum, I made a fool of myself after all".
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 8 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Small chilli, Vinny

Messages In This Thread
POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition - by Admin - 23-03-2023, 08:12 PM
RE: POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition - by Veggie - 08-05-2023, 02:55 PM
RE: POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition - by Veggie - 09-05-2023, 10:03 PM
RE: POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition - by Veggie - 14-05-2023, 01:45 PM
RE: POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition - by Veggie - 17-05-2023, 10:50 PM
RE: POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition - by Veggie - 21-05-2023, 11:24 PM
RE: POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition - by Veggie - 24-05-2023, 11:45 PM
RE: POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition - by Veggie - 26-05-2023, 08:29 PM
RE: POLL - 3rd Birthday Competition - by Broadway - 27-05-2023, 10:58 AM