Hotbins
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have a Dalek composter and when its full I just chuck any organic matter I have along the sides of the runner beans to keep their roots moist.
On my other plot I just used to chuck organic matter, including weeds onto a heap in the corner. In the winter I dug out perfectly composted material and spread it on top of cardboard on the beds. Rolleyes

I sometimes think this composting lark has become a religion, rather than a way to add organic waste to the soil. Tongue

Just saying.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Spec, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
FWIW, my Green Johanna seems to have been doing OK so far, despite me being a composting newbie. I got it 1/3 off, so it wasn't too expensive, and by the end of the summer the contents were smelling nice and compost-y, even though I've been putting lots of kitchen waste in it.

I agree with earlier posters that hotbins do seem to get quite damp. I've combatted that with plenty of torn-up brown paper (the sort used as packing material by the more eco-conscious mail order companies), plus dead leaves, mushroom punnets, odds and ends of used compost, etc to improve the green-to-brown ratio.

Now that the weather's cooling down I think I'm going to leave it for the winter and put my kitchen waste into the green wheelie bin for municipal composting. I have an insulating jacket that I can put on the Green Johanna when the temperatures drop further, and maybe it'll be ready for use again next spring!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've weakened and ordered a Hotbin! The cheapest I could find was £179 (incl p&p). https://marshallsgarden.com/products/hot...d-10906049

Thinking about keeping it in the GH over winter and using chicken bedding instead of woodchips for bulk.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 7 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m very excited for you  Cool . Look forward to all your progress reports on it   Smile  .I think chicken bedding with be perfect.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
        The  Beast has arrived - unexpectedly as there was no notification that it was on its way. So when I found 2 burly men at the front door with a box that was big enough for a person, I was a little puzzled!

I was waiting for them to ask me to take it in for next door but they didn't, they just kept saying "we don't know what it is but it has your name on it!"
Its as tall as my armpit so it was a bit of a struggle to drag it through the house - heavy too! 

Ted liked the box!!!
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
How exciting. That is big! Cool
Ted looks very happy  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its in the corner of the GH at the mo but I need to find a few more bricks to raise it off the ground so that I can catch any liquid. I've cut the front/top off the box and left the bin inside it as an extra layer of insulation!
Tomorrow, I'll start filling it -once I've worked out how.Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Spec Offline
Congratulations on getting a hotbin Veggie, I hope it is as good as advertised, will be very interested in seeing how good you think it is, as I am thinking of getting one, wishing you a lot of good compostingSmile
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Spec Offline
(09-12-2020, 07:53 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its in the corner of the GH at the mo but I need to find a few more bricks to raise it off the ground so that I can catch any liquid. I've cut the front/top off the box and left the bin inside it as an extra layer of insulation!
Tomorrow, I'll start filling it -once I've worked out how.Smile

Try lifting the lidBig Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks SpecSmile
I will, of course, bore you all senseless with my Hotbin experiences. First, I need to give it a personality and a name. Any suggestions? At the moment, he's Mr Greedy. https://www.mrmen.com/mr-greedy/

Meanwhile, I've spent a few hours feeding it today - some oak twigs and leaves from a fallen branch in the base, a builder's bucket of chicken run floor (wood shavings, shredded paper and droppings), an MFB of comfrey leaves, half an MFB of nettles and a builder's bucket of chopped mint and a load of shredded bills. Please note - no kitchen waste whatsoever as all I could find was an apple core!!
I didn't use any of the woodchips that came with the bin or the kick-start bottle (a plastic bottle that you fill with boiling water and bury in the compost material to start heating it up).
Its full to the minimum level - the top of the hatch - a long way to go before it is full!
Starting temperature is 10C. Watch this space. Smile