Garden And Gossip Forums
The garden from scratch - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: My Garden Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+--- Forum: Dear Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=63)
+--- Thread: The garden from scratch (/showthread.php?tid=983)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: The garden from scratch - Scarlet - 26-06-2021

Hmm, I would think it's a waste of tunnel space. I would be more inclined to use fleece over plants if you want extra protection....but that's just me.

I made a fleece tent this year. Hung it from a bamboo cane and it covered a whole table. It was brill early in and then I could take it down when things got warmer.

It may get super hot in there during the summer with little airflow.

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 09-07-2021

The first garden feature is in place  Big Grin

[attachment=3418]

RE: The garden from scratch - Veggie - 09-07-2021

Is that Hudson?

Rock Hudson. Big Grin

RE: The garden from scratch - Bren - 09-07-2021

A fine looking rock Smile

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 03-11-2021

I’ve just updated my plant list post #31 .
It’s now quite large! How would you split it up into categories? I’m going to start missing things on it because is so big.
Do I sort by family, annual, perennial, bulbs, flowering period, size, evergreen, sun, shade, hedging, fillers, other???
Advice please how would you sort that list of plants?

RE: The garden from scratch - Veggie - 03-11-2021

I'd start with annual & perennial because the perennials are permanent and stay in position once planted. The annuals are less important - you could miss a year and it wouldn't matter as much.

RE: The garden from scratch - Moth - 03-11-2021

First I'd separate all the shrubs out. They need fairly permanent places. Then make a list of the bulbs/corms/tubers as they are best planted last so you don't accidentally chop them while planting something else.
that leaves herbaceous perennials, biennials, and annual seeds.
Group each list into flowering season/season of interest and order these sub groups alphabetically.

RE: The garden from scratch - Moth - 03-11-2021

Actually there's not really enough to bother sub-dividing the groups. Put a symbol or letter against each to denote season of interest.

RE: The garden from scratch - Scarlet - 03-11-2021

I would put it in excel spreadsheet sheet similar to this bulb one I have from peter Nyssen
[attachment=4083]
....list of varieties down the left and the top row with columns - annual, perennials, shade, colour, size of plant etc

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 10-04-2022

My new garden gate is now hung.
Gate made by me hung by Bob. Latch idea was mine. How to achieve it was a joint effort.

[attachment=4589] [attachment=4590]

Just got to put the arch up now. I have all the wood ready. So it’ll happen soon. 

This gate and arch will be the entrance to the cottage garden.