Garden And Gossip Forums
The garden from scratch - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: My Garden Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+--- Forum: Dear Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=63)
+--- Thread: The garden from scratch (/showthread.php?tid=983)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: The garden from scratch - Mark_Riga - 09-05-2023

(09-05-2023, 08:59 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Do you think I still need to do a bit of work on drainage?    Rolleyes 

Where is all that water coming from? If it is from higher ground, you need a ditch to take it away before it gets to you - as well as the drainage you propose.

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 09-05-2023

(09-05-2023, 09:24 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(09-05-2023, 08:59 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Do you think I still need to do a bit of work on drainage?    Rolleyes 
I think I said somewhere that your new bed reminded me of a castle - now it has a moat! Drawbridge required for the little creatures to cross into the castle.
Big Grin Big Grin

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 09-05-2023

(09-05-2023, 10:22 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:

Where is all that water coming from? If it is from higher ground, you need a ditch to take it away before it gets to you - as well as the drainage you propose.
Already got 2 ditches running across the width of the plot to catch water from higher ground. It’s mostly rain.

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 19-05-2023

The plant moving is well underway.

[attachment=6398]

Also planted mixed foxgloves along the front bank & either side of the post box. Planted a few devils bit scabious & a meadow sweet along the edges of the ditch.

RE: The garden from scratch - Scarlet - 19-05-2023

(09-05-2023, 09:33 AM)Small chilli Wrote: It’s definitely a mammoth task. The plan is all the main paths around the cottage garden will be dug somewhere between 2 & 3 foot deep. Lay drainage pipe then refill with stone/gravel. At that depth they won’t be much wider than the drainage pipe. The top 8 to 10 inches of the Path will be full width and filled with gravel. These drains will all lead into the ones we’ve already put in place that feed into the burn at the front. Hopefully that will work. If it doesn’t then I give up and the rushes will take over again.
This is what we did with our garden and its worked brilliantly

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 23-05-2023

Moved more plants. Didn’t realise what a collection I’d amassed! Still more to go.

[attachment=6412]  [attachment=6413]

Started digging bed 2. Mostly because I’ve really got to plant my lupins. They’re really not happy in pots and more and watering them is very time consuming at the moment. As water & plants are at opposite ends of the garden. This will not always be the case. What would you plant in a bed with lupins?

[attachment=6414]

Not measured but roughly 2.5m x 1m (at it’s widest)

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 24-05-2023

Bed 1 is starting to flower

[attachment=6423]  [attachment=6424]

When those roses start flowering. So many photos are going to be taken    Blush . Just saying    Wink

RE: The garden from scratch - JJB - 24-05-2023

So exciting seeing things come together SC. This year will be full of 'firsts' immortalised on film.

(23-05-2023, 06:56 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Moved more plants. Didn’t realise what a collection I’d amassed! Still more to go.

Started digging bed 2. Mostly because I’ve really got to plant my lupins. They’re really not happy in pots and more and watering them is very time consuming at the moment. As water & plants are at opposite ends of the garden. This will not always be the case. What would you plant in a bed with lupins?

Not measured but roughly 2.5m x 1m (at it’s widest)
I've just measured bed 2. It's actually 3.5m x 2.5m (widest) 1.7m (narrowest).  It'll be smaller than that once the rocks are in place.

Here’s a dreadful photo of progress  Blush .  Thanks to skew you can get an idea of the size of the rocks, I’m manhandling into place. If I said it’s taking a while and everything hurts  Big Grin ……….

[attachment=6441]