Garden And Gossip Forums
The garden from scratch - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: My Garden Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+--- Forum: Dear Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=63)
+--- Thread: The garden from scratch (/showthread.php?tid=983)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 24-04-2023

Another mini milestone. The monstrosity that we put up to protect the trees we planted has come down  Big Grin .

Before [attachment=6207]  After [attachment=6208] 

We also moved our picnic table up to the house. The thing fell apart as we tried to move it. So we rebuilt it. It’s more stable than its ever been    Big Grin . Not sure where it’s final destination will be. That’ll do for now.

[attachment=6209]

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 06-05-2023

First thing to flower in the new bed is the dianthus

[attachment=6286]

The first few things have been put in the tunnel today. Just got pumpkin, tomato & DFB . They are all to small yet. 

[attachment=6287]

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 09-05-2023

Do you think I still need to do a bit of work on drainage?    Rolleyes 

[attachment=6328]

RE: The garden from scratch - JJB - 09-05-2023

(09-05-2023, 08:59 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Do you think I still need to do a bit of work on drainage?    Rolleyes 

Without understanding, P said 'What a lovely pond' he apologised when I explained.

A very easy mistake to make  Smile .

What are you able to do about sodden ground that you haven't done already? It appears to be a mammoth task.

It’s definitely a mammoth task. The plan is all the main paths around the cottage garden will be dug somewhere between 2 & 3 foot deep. Lay drainage pipe then refill with stone/gravel. At that depth they won’t be much wider than the drainage pipe. The top 8 to 10 inches of the Path will be full width and filled with gravel. These drains will all lead into the ones we’ve already put in place that feed into the burn at the front. Hopefully that will work. If it doesn’t then I give up and the rushes will take over again.

You might have to resort to raised beds. Either way it's mind boggling.

They sort of will be raised beds. I intend to build the soil level as high as I can behind the bolder. So some of the beds will easily be a 10”/ 12” above ground level. The bed I’ve made is only using the small stones I can handle. Because I didn’t want the stones to take away from the arch with them being quite small beds.

See post #62 on page 7 from edging stone size

RE: The garden from scratch - Veggie - 09-05-2023

(09-05-2023, 08:59 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Do you think I still need to do a bit of work on drainage?    Rolleyes 
I think I said somewhere that your new bed reminded me of a castle - now it has a moat! Drawbridge required for the little creatures to cross into the castle.