Garden And Gossip Forums
The garden from scratch - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: My Garden Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+--- Forum: Dear Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=63)
+--- Thread: The garden from scratch (/showthread.php?tid=983)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 29-03-2021

I’m going to use this thread for thinking out loud about what I actually want ( how the hell do I know!  Huh ). What is actually needed ( everything & a side order of miracles ). How I’m going to do it all . What plants? What materials ( paths, fencing, structures) ? What layout / configuration ? And all the things I’ve not yet considered ! 

I’m going to be adding photos , lists of plants , ideas, just everything.

I’d love your suggestions, help & advice along the way  Cool . 

( I have a horrible feeling I’ve already started this thread somewhere else! If you find it (veggie  Wink   ) can you move it or link it to here please    Blush )

RE: The garden from scratch - Admin - 29-03-2021

Piece of cake Wink

My main advice is know your aspects NESW

I am a fan of marking things out with pegs and string, good luck Smile

RE: The garden from scratch - Small chilli - 29-03-2021

Ok here’s what I’ve got to work with.

[attachment=2487] [attachment=2492]

The black square I’ve drawn is because we’ve moved the garage forward a bit. The green lines is now what the drive looks like.

[attachment=2488]

This is going to be the view from the living room

I like this look ( minus the hostas! Don’t like them )

[attachment=2489] 

This one is similar

[attachment=2490]

I like this fencing ( probably not going to happen after talking to the local fencer ( Bob) ).
What are the tall pink flowers? I like them. Feel I should know there name.

[attachment=2491]

RE: The garden from scratch - JJB - 29-03-2021

Are the pink ones valerian?

I should probably give a quick over view of what’s spinning around in my tiny little head already. So I’ve got half a chance of making sense of all the ideas I put on here!

At the moment ( obviously it’s all changeable, and probably will change ) I’m thinking Cottage garden style at the front of the house. One or both sides of the drive, I’m undecided. Veggie garden & 3 polytunnels not a clue on location! Definitely not at front of house (planning boys & girls get very very touchy about structures in front of a property) . Where ever it goes there will be no grass in that area.  There will be at least 2 sheds going next to the garage (1 the same size as garage) with space between for a clothing drying area (like a small carport). I’ve started as small wooded area at the top left corner. This still can be moved and extended if we want. The whole area will be deer fenced & veggie garden will be rabbit fenced.
A grass area is needed for the boys to play. The ditch going across the plot needs turning into a feature somehow. Not sure what to plant around that to make it look good?

Do I do it all in different sections like grass, wood, cottage style , veg patch. Or do I try to amalgamate the lot and just have back & front separate? How can I soften the view of the polytunnels? I think they are going to be very visible from the living room . Just one of the many compromises that’s going to have to be made. Not really looking forward to watching them getting hammered by the bad weather.

Think that’s the content of my head, for the garden anyway

RE: The garden from scratch - Veggie - 29-03-2021

Trying to get my head around your plot! The directions are throwing me because the plot doesn't sit neatly on on a NSEW axis, but across it so the top left corner is NE and the bottom right corner is the SW
Which direction is the mountain?
Could you put the PTs behind the garage? Would they be out of your line of sight from the house?
I

Mountain is N/NW ( same direction as the 2 red lines that run off the edge of the plan) .

I’m not 100% the NSEW axis is quite right Bob told me what it was this morning when I was quickly scribbling on the plan. I must go look it up myself. I think North needs spinning to the left slightly.

Polytunnels behind the garage. I’d not considered that. Worth looking into I think. It was going to be boat / ride on lawnmower park & Bobs general detritus! as neighbours don’t have any windows facing that way.

Unfortunately even though I hate to say it. He was right  Rolleyes .

Scene shot from google maps. As you can see North is at a very silly angle    Confused .

[attachment=2494]

RE: The garden from scratch - Moth - 29-03-2021

Make sure you leave room for access to the rear garden by vehicles. There's nothing worse than having to hump heavy garden deliveries by hand the whole length of the property, or far in the future, having to do some work by hand that could be done in a fraction of the time if only you could get the machinery in.