Garden And Gossip Forums
Tomatoes for the windowsill - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Tomato (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Tomatoes for the windowsill (/showthread.php?tid=880)

Pages: 1 2

Tomatoes for the windowsill - JJB - 10-02-2021

I have,  and am, growing Red Robin windowsill tomatoes for myself but primarily for giveaways to non gardener friends.  Next year (or maybe even this year) I've a mind to diversify and try a different variety.   I see there's Sweet 'n Neat and Micro Tom, anyone have experience of these and any others.  I'm growing Vilma but think they might be a bit too tall for a windowsill.

RE: Tomatoes for the windowsill - Veggie - 10-02-2021

All the ones on my Early Tomato seed list will stay in small pots for life.

RE: Tomatoes for the windowsill - JJB - 10-02-2021

(10-02-2021, 02:29 PM)Veggie Wrote: All the ones on my Early Tomato seed list will stay in small pots for life.

It's not so much small pots as how much vegetation,  I've got a feeling say 12" tall x 12" wide is about as much as a pot plant and anything taller or wider would be an encumbrance.   Just wondered if anything better thanRred Robin was out there.

RE: Tomatoes for the windowsill - Scarlet - 10-02-2021

Hahms Gelbe Topftomate Will stay in a small pot on the windowsill. Maybe a foot tall.

RE: Tomatoes for the windowsill - JJB - 10-02-2021

(10-02-2021, 08:21 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Hahms Gelbe Topftomate Will stay in a small pot on the windowsill. Maybe a foot tall.

Sounds a good candidate,  Scarlet, but can't find a supply of seeds Sad

RE: Tomatoes for the windowsill - toomanytommytoes - 10-02-2021

I should have some Hahms Gelbe seed in a few months. The last batch of grow tent tomatoes got botrytis so I didn't want to save any seed. Now I've sterilised the tent and improved airflow there hopefully won't be any fungal issues this time.

RE: Tomatoes for the windowsill - JJB - 11-02-2021

(10-02-2021, 11:53 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I should have some Hahms Gelbe seed in a few months. The last batch of grow tent tomatoes got botrytis so I didn't want to save any seed. Now I've sterilised the tent and improved airflow there hopefully won't be any fungal issues this time.

TMTT, I'm quite happy to wait for a seed swap, if and when you have any available.  Much appreciated.

RE: Tomatoes for the windowsill - Vinny - 11-02-2021

If I have a lot of tomato plants and can't give them away I sometimes bung single plants into a 4 or 5 inch pot and stop them one leaf after the first truss has set. Cool Mine are usually kept on the greenhouse staging but never attain more than 1 foot in height so would fit onto a windowsill for early tomatoes. Smile

RE: Tomatoes for the windowsill - JJB - 11-02-2021

Another sign I'm losing it! Sad My shallot seeds arrived this morning and amongst the order ( which I had forgotten about) was a pack of Veranda Red tomato seeds, so they will be my windowsill experiment this year. Strangely, some companies say they're F1, but premier seeds don't mention that. I'll save seed anyway.

RE: Tomatoes for the windowsill - toomanytommytoes - 11-02-2021

I think it is probably F1 considering how resistant it is to various diseases.