Garden And Gossip Forums
Tomato Growing list 2021 - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Tomato (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Tomato Growing list 2021 (/showthread.php?tid=761)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Tomato Growing list 2021 - Vinny - 12-02-2021

(09-02-2021, 01:45 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: For those of you who like sun-dried tomatoes and have a sunny place to park the car, you may not need a dehydrator or to run a low oven every time Smile

A batch of Prince Borghese in the dehydrator!
You may be on to summat there. A tomato scented air freshener! Big Grin

RE: Tomato Growing list 2021 - JJB - 12-02-2021

I'm growing your Stupice this year, Veggie, when I finally make my mind up on the grow list. It won't get isolated, so I won't bother saving.

RE: Tomato Growing list 2021 - Veggie - 12-02-2021

I don't know whether, if a potato leaf crosses with a regular leaf tom, seeds from both toms will not be true - I can't find an answer on t'internet.
Does anyone know please?

RE: Tomato Growing list 2021 - mcdood - 13-02-2021

I did the same research a year or 2 back and couldn't find a definitive answer either. My personal thoughts are as a normal tomato flower self pollinates before opening then I don't see how the potato leaf flower can affect it. On the other hand I think maybe a normal tomato could pollinate a potato leaf, but I'm just guessing.

RE: Tomato Growing list 2021 - Mikey - 13-02-2021

(04-01-2021, 03:14 PM)Mamzie Wrote: Need to grow Cyril's choice for seed saving
Have you got Cyril’s Choice seeds Mamzie?

I tried growing them a couple of years ago but, mine never came up. That’s one Tom I’d cross a hill to get my hands on. Big Grin

RE: Tomato Growing list 2021 - Veggie - 13-02-2021

I have some.............what's it worth???

A box of Welsh cakes? Big Grin

RE: Tomato Growing list 2021 - Veggie - 13-02-2021

Its a dealWink
Are you still at The Dell?
I'll put them in the post when the snow stops!
No need to post the Welsh cakes. Smile

Yeah thanks veggie, I haven’t moved. Big Grin

RE: Tomato Growing list 2021 - Scarlet - 13-02-2021

(12-02-2021, 05:48 PM)Veggie Wrote: I don't know whether, if a potato leaf crosses with a regular leaf tom, seeds from both toms will not be true - I can't find an answer on t'internet.
I haven't got a clue really. 

Though my thinking is that regular Tom's rarely cross - has both make and female "bits" contained within the flower. Self pollination occurs before stray pollen can get to it??
On the potato leaf the flower protrudes more than regular leaf Tom's so will cross more readily. Easier fir insects etc to get to?

Though iIf you grew in a group and choose to save from a tomato out of the middle to the back of the glass etc there would be less likelyhood of a cross. ?

I ran a seed swap once Wink someone saved Ruby - that had crossed so it can happen. The fruit seemed to be the same ( from memory) just the potato leaf had disappeared.