Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2021 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=754)

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Bren - 07-06-2021

Just had to net my tall telephone peas Sad caught a Sparrow having a snack.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - PyreneesPlot - 07-06-2021

A pottering day, weeding, deadheading, training the honeysuckle over the pergola, and then planted a short hedge of hibiscus given to me by a friend. It is a little spur from the boundary hedge but allows us to walk through a hidden gap (when grown!) in the hedge around the veg garden.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Small chilli - 07-06-2021

Watering.
Fed chilli grow
Potted up lemon thyme, lavender, sage, basil, marigolds & nasturtium in a pot outside the front door. They’re supposed to repel flies. Will see what happens.
Tied up tomatoes and removed armpits.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 07-06-2021

Finally, got around to clearing some space in GH no 2 and planted 7 tomatoes in their final position.
It wouldn't have taken so long if the old canes had been good enough to reuse - but they weren't, so I had to find some more. I'd cut a lot of bamboo down a few weeks ago and it had been stored under the roof of the log store to dry out. I'm just a bit too vertically challenged to reach them easily, so it involved standing on a stool on the lowest side of the roof and pushing individual canes until they appeared on the far side, where I could hook them down with a hooky things and pull them out.
Needless to say, they were all too long to go in the GH so I had to cut them down - dry bamboo is tough on the old secateurs - and me.
Then it was decision time - which 7 tomatoes should I plant?
From memory, the lucky ones were San Marzano, Scatalone, Paul Robeson, Urban's Gardener's Delight, Eve's Purple Ball, Pertseviddny Red and Red Buffalo Horn.
Will try to plant some more tomorrow - only another 30+ plants to plant or rehome!

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Spec - 07-06-2021

Potted up more flower plants, to clear a shelf above the tomato bed, removed the shelf, secured rods to allow me to use string to support the tomatoes. Then went out to remove some dead clematis from a fence for an elderly lady, it had a lot of dry material and she was worried about the possibility of it catching fire from someones bbq

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 08-06-2021

Yesterday got the gh's planted. Notwithstanding my vow not to overcrowd, there's an awful lot of stuff in there. P will be moaning about not being able to get in for the triffids...........moan on, I dont care! Big Grin
Today is work for the first time in ages, wonder if I can still use a computer and type??

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Bren - 08-06-2021

Planted Basil that I'd rooted in water, the original plants are now looking nice and bushy. After the just weeding and re-homing self seeded plants.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Broadway - 08-06-2021

Watered bits at the plot.

Mulched cucurbits with a grass / moss mixture

Strimmed half the overgrown path between my plot and a neighbours. Battery now charging, will pop back later.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Spec - 08-06-2021

Gave grandson a hand to fill a couple of bins with some of the clematis and tied up some bundles of it as well, but still a fair bit to go, after that I was doing some work in the back garden, putting up plant holders and using them for fuchsia, I then started preparing a large bin for holding a mashed potato squash, I have placed turf on the bottom, covered that with layers of newspaper and cardboard, then emptied a bag of garden compost on top of that, this was an old compost bag turned outside in to give a black bag, filled it with some material that wasn't completely composted, tied it up and left in the sun for a couple of months and now I have great compost, will cover it tomorrow with soil then plant out one of the squash, once its hardened off

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 08-06-2021

Finally planted all the Charity sale plants - the Blue iris have flower buds already. I like Iris but have very few of them - better put it on my mental shopping list. Smile
Moved the early tomatoes from GH No 2 (where they were outgrowing their space) and into GH No 4 - that entailed clearing shelves to make room for them.
Its a bit like playing Musical greenhouses at the moment.
Tomorrow, I can clear GH No 2 and plant some tall toms in there.