Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2021 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=754)

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Spec - 28-05-2021

(28-05-2021, 05:45 PM)Bren Wrote: Spec it’s fastened to the frame with something similar to tent pegs, it seems to work.  I’ve propped it open with a couple of yoghurt pots but will alter that later.   
Edited to say I bought mine from Gumtree so i didn't know they were called Sun tunnels, it looks like they're no long for sale though.

I have just made up a box using pallet wood, now that you have posted the picture showing how you secure the covering I will make some alterations tomorrow, I have 3 of those larger tunnels and 1 smaller one, so will make up more boxes as they are ideal to use for hardening off some of my baskets and saves me having to lift them in and out the greenhouse, so many thanks Bren

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 28-05-2021

Potted up some Basil cuttings and split the 50p parent plant - I now have 5 pots of Basil with more cuttings sitting in water.
Had a surprise call from the Vets asking if I could bring the 2 dogs for their jabs today, instead of next Tuesday. Dropped everything and gathered up Bess and Spud (Ted had his a few weeks ago). They were quite well-behaved for a change; Spud even climbed onto the weighing scales and sat down instead of his usual wriggling around.
By the time I got back home, had something to eat, wandered around the garden and talked to the chickens it was this evening!

RE: 2021 - What I did today - PyreneesPlot - 28-05-2021

Spent the morning cutting the grass (hurrah for a ride-on mower) & strimming a client's garden.
This afternoon did the weekly sow list, potted on some pumpkins and weeded cabbages still in pots.
Turned all the compost heaps.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 29-05-2021

Yesterday (I'm usually a day behind as I post in the morning) weeded the top fruit cage. Getting in between the rows of raspberries and the net is a contortionist's job due to the daft biddy that planted the canes too close to the edges. Finished off planting CFBs on no.1 bean row. Set out markers for sweetcorn planting so I know where I can put the courgettes. Took all the outdoor toms outside with a view to removing the staging ready for planting out the gh.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 29-05-2021

(29-05-2021, 09:44 AM)JJB Wrote: Set out markers for sweetcorn planting so I know where I can put the courgettes.

I don't plant sweetcorn in with courgettes, not sure why, but squash and pumpkins. I put squash in first about 3' apart or whatever and then put the sweetcorn in placing them about  6 to 9"  apart and same from any squash.

(29-05-2021, 01:52 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(29-05-2021, 09:44 AM)JJB Wrote: Set out markers for sweetcorn planting so I know where I can put the courgettes.

I don't plant sweetcorn in with courgettes, not sure why, but squash and pumpkins. I put squash in first about 3' apart or whatever and then put the sweetcorn in placing them about  6 to 9"  apart and same from any squash.

I don't plant them together either, tried the three sisters approach and got into a fine old mess.  I was just marking out the square for the s corn so I knew what space as then available for other stuff,  seeing as I'm doing two varieties and have to distance them from each other to be on the safe side.  I sometimes underplant the s corn with salad stuff though.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 29-05-2021

Went to a charity plant sale and bought lots of plants - mostly flowers.
Roamed the garden trying to find the right planting spot but got sidetracked and ended up planting a load of bolting lettuce where they can live out their days and set seed.
Put the water lilies in a clean pot and the Umbrella grass in the Dog bed "Pond".
Will probably split some of the pots of day lilies and iris as the pots are stuffed. All the more the merrier.Smile

Moved the gh peas outside. Dug over freed up border and added poultry pellets. Discovered new gh autovent opener knacked, the cylinder is leaking mineral wax. Not even a year old! Snotagram to gh suppliers. I read on instructions they tell you to remove the ram/cylinder during the winter! I've never done that on any others I've got which are still working fine after tens of years.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - PyreneesPlot - 29-05-2021

Just tidied up the deck, sweeping up all the dropped rose leaves, uncovering the seats and dividing the space back into a sitting and eating area, and the gardening sowing and potting up work area.
Fed and watered the dahlias.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Spec - 29-05-2021

Warm but cloudy morning, intended get some garden work done, like planting out more peas and sowing some lettuce, but OH wanted curtain poles and pictures and mirrors put back up, putting the curtain pole up took quite a bit of time as I think I was boring into the concrete lintel, it took forever to get two holes bored, she then wanted the charge point for her battery powered vacuum, repositioned fortunately where this was going was into brick work, so didn't take as long, to make things worse my shoulders are very sore and I can't get my arms up to shoulder height, think I will need to see a doctor about them now but definitely not wasting my time with a phone consultation, just to be told take paracetamol. Time to stop or this will become a rant