Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2021 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=754)

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 18-04-2021

If I said I'd spent most of the day doing a bit more clearing of the same area I've been clearing for the last week or so, you'd fall asleep with boredom, so I won't say that's what I've been doing................., mocked up some new paths with tree branches, pruned the rambling roses, potted up some Courgette seedlings; shuffled some stuff around in GH No 4, pondered where I was going to plant the massive rhubarb root I aquired yesterday and whether to split it first, weeded the lettuce in GH No 1, counted the flowers on the Bijou mangetout to upset JJB (5), looked for female flowers on the courgettes but they're all male so far (come on girls)............

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 19-04-2021

(18-04-2021, 08:07 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(18-04-2021, 05:54 PM)JJB Wrote: Never got round to sowing sweetcorn, but did plant out ( long overdue) broad bean plants and peas, thereby clearing a hardstanding for putting 'whatever'.  Pricked out marigolds/tagetes lemon and tangerine gem from the seed swap.  I forget who donated the seeds and I'd have to go up to the gh to check but thank you whoever you were, they're lovely little plants.  Potted on aubs.

Last year I sowed sweetcorn on 1st May and they wanted to be planted out on the 23rd May, so should be sown about 3 weeks before the last expected frost. Mind you I sow them quite close together in a seedtray so if they are in individual pots, they could probably wait another week so you could sow a week earlier, 4 weeks before last frost.

Aren't our records lovely things Smile   For the last 5 years I've sown/chitted my corn on or around 20th April, then into root trainers in gh.  Each year they got planted out around  last week in May.  These cold nights are perhaps influencing my sowing actions, but that may be a false premise as the nights  will undoubtedly warm up sometime. This year  I aim to sow two batches successionally so will probably be sowing soon.  The average last frost here is said to be last week in April (next week???), but I have never found that to be the case.

(18-04-2021, 08:15 PM)Veggie Wrote: If I said I'd spent most of the day doing a bit more clearing of the same area I've been clearing for the last week or so, you'd fall asleep with boredom, so I won't say that's what I've been doing................., mocked up some new paths with tree branches, pruned the rambling roses,  potted up some Courgette seedlings; shuffled some stuff around in GH No 4, pondered where I was going to plant the massive rhubarb root I aquired yesterday and whether to split it first, weeded the lettuce in GH No 1, counted the flowers on the Bijou mangetout to upset JJB (5), looked for female flowers on the courgettes but they're all male so far (come on girls)............

As with most things Veggie, once again you've succeeded.  Consider me upset. No flowers yet.  I'm counting on my tomato to get my own back.   I don't get quite so rattled now I've learned how different our climates are, you're very temperate. I foolishly thought we ought to be similar temperatures.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Bren - 19-04-2021

Planted out sweet peas and some Alderman peas. Potted up coriander then dug out more dandelions.

Danced the greenhouse shuffle to make room for more seedlings and potting on. Carried on pottering on.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - PyreneesPlot - 19-04-2021

Moved all my tender stuff outside for a few hours of sunshine and breeze, and prepared the blow away for them to overnight outside. The cat has regained his sunny spot in the living room window and hopefully we'll have fewer fungus gnats falling in our wine from now on Smile
Potted on and changed the compost on some gnatty plants.
Removed the plastic and hoops for the little tunnel.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Can the Man - 19-04-2021

I dug some carrots yesterday, they had lots of greenery but the carrots were not very big, I brought them in and washed them then put them in the steamer. They were inedible as the centre was as hard as rock, looked at some raw ones and found something similar, so I pulled them all and dumped them n the composter. I checked one of the other carrot beds and found they were ‘Normal’. One observation was the inedible ones had loads of side roots almost like hair growing from them.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 19-04-2021

Maybe they were going to seed, Can?

As for my day, you can guess.....but I'm getting there. I did plant a couple of blackcurrant bushes in the new edible hedge. Sounds like its planned but really its just where I'm going to plant all the odd fruit bushes and raspberry canes that I'm digging out of the area I've been clearing (that's a clue as to how I've spent my dayWink)

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Small chilli - 19-04-2021

Potted on lots of flowery things. Watered all the tunnels.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - doublyjonah - 20-04-2021

Watered GH at home, planted out a few flowers in the border, sowed seeds during naptime, walked to the plot after work with the family where we watered as well.