Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2021 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=754)

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Can the Man - 16-04-2021

I’m going to chance planting some tomato plants in the tunnel tomorrow, they have been wrapped up in a fleece tent in the tunnel for weeks now, I’ve lost 2 of them I think frost might have hit them. But I’ll put fleece around them at night still. I also have some others to prick out tomorrow.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Eyren - 17-04-2021

Planted out a load of things that I'd sowed in tiny modules last month: leeks, spring onions, pak choi, chopsuey greens, broccoli raab, coriander, leaf celery.

Built the fancy bean frame, which was much harder work than the pea frame since it was twice as tall. Came out all wonky on the first attempt, so had to be unscrewed and adjusted and retightened. There may have been some swearing!

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Can the Man - 17-04-2021

Rotovated a bed along the fence, raked it and sowed a load of more seed wild flowers and wall flowers, then cut the grass and put the cuttings over the bed.
Rotovated the back garden for the spuds, hopefully put them in during the week. Watered everything in the tunnel, sat back n the tunnel for about 1/2 hour enjoying 25’C of warmth.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Can the Man - 17-04-2021

(16-04-2021, 10:46 PM)Can the Man Wrote: I’m going to chance planting some tomato plants in the tunnel tomorrow, they have been wrapped up in a fleece tent in the tunnel for weeks now, I’ve lost 2 of them I think frost might have hit them. But I’ll put fleece around them at night still. I also have some others to prick out tomorrow.
After last nights frost I decided to hold fire for a few days yet.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 18-04-2021

Yesterday potted on some courgettes/squashes, tomatoes and chillies. Spent time rearranging the GH plants to accommodate tomorrow's influx of prickings out and figuring out how to protect them from the frost. We're all in the same boat but isn't it frustrating, we should be thinking about hardening off not frost protection indoors! Watered outdoor sowings. I might tempt fate and sow my sweetcorn today.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Vinny - 18-04-2021

Knackered. Rolleyes

Went on a long walk with dog and put flowers on my Mam and Dads grave. Unbeknown to me while I was doing this my dog had cocked his leg on the gravestone behind. (eek)
When nearly home I was collared by someone I had been trying to scrounge bricks from. He is doing some building work and he hollared "When are you going to collect these used bricks you are after cos skip is coming tomorrow" I'll be round for them with my wheelbarrow once I've had my Sunday lunch says I.

8 full barrow loads of bricks carted 1/4 of a mile to my house later and I finally had enough for my project. Now all I need is a nice fine day to sit and clean off the cement with a hammer and chisel. Probably saved myself close on £100. Smile

I intend building a new set of steps at the front of the house with bricks and paving slabs so it has to be tidy. once built I will make some wrought iron hand railings for it. Cool

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 18-04-2021

Never got round to sowing sweetcorn, but did plant out ( long overdue) broad bean plants and peas, thereby clearing a hardstanding for putting 'whatever'. Pricked out marigolds/tagetes lemon and tangerine gem from the seed swap. I forget who donated the seeds and I'd have to go up to the gh to check but thank you whoever you were, they're lovely little plants. Potted on aubs.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Broadway - 18-04-2021

Sowed new seed in the parsnip bed, covered with netting, fingers crossed!

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Bren - 18-04-2021

Spent most of the day outside not a lot to show for it though I potted up chard, weeded and generally potted around the garden.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 18-04-2021

(18-04-2021, 05:54 PM)JJB Wrote: Never got round to sowing sweetcorn, but did plant out ( long overdue) broad bean plants and peas, thereby clearing a hardstanding for putting 'whatever'.  Pricked out marigolds/tagetes lemon and tangerine gem from the seed swap.  I forget who donated the seeds and I'd have to go up to the gh to check but thank you whoever you were, they're lovely little plants.  Potted on aubs.

Last year I sowed sweetcorn on 1st May and they wanted to be planted out on the 23rd May, so should be sown about 3 weeks before the last expected frost. Mind you I sow them quite close together in a seedtray so if they are in individual pots, they could probably wait another week so you could sow a week earlier, 4 weeks before last frost.