Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2021 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=754)

RE: 2021 - What I did today - PyreneesPlot - 23-03-2021

Did the weekly module & indoor sow list, plus cleared a patch of weeds & mole runs and then sowed parsnips & carrots from the direct sow outdoor list, so catching up.
Moved some cowslips that had self sown in a bit of ground that has to be dug up for MrPP's garage extension/machine shed. Moved them onto a bit of bank above the drive along with some primroses.  It has a hedge of natives at the top so they fit in.
Planted out a bergenia root dug up at a client's.
Organised pots, saucers and stuff for the new shed.
Cleared more blanket weed from the pond, carefully because the pond is getting very busy Smile

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 24-03-2021

Spent a second day digging up white comfrey which is spreading like.............white comfrey does. Usually, the roots are so deep that I can't shift them but the soil at the moment is perfect for releasing the roots. They're growing in my most random patch, where I scatter old seeds and shove in odd cuttings. Found some magnificent parsnips that had randomly grown there, amongst the wallflowers, honesty, land cress, kale, lovage and feverfew. Once I've cleared a space, I'll scatter the next collection of random, old seeds. I like surprises in the veggie garden.Smile

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Vinny - 24-03-2021

(24-03-2021, 12:01 AM)Veggie Wrote: Spent a second day digging up white comfrey which is spreading like.............white comfrey does. Usually, the roots are so deep that I can't shift them but the soil at the moment is perfect for releasing the roots. They're growing in my most random patch, where I scatter old seeds and shove in odd cuttings. Found  some magnificent parsnips that had randomly grown there, amongst the wallflowers, honesty, land cress, kale, lovage and feverfew. Once I've cleared a space, I'll scatter the next collection of random, old seeds. I like surprises in the veggie garden.Smile
Nutter Smile

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Spec - 24-03-2021

Planted out some early potatoes this morning

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Broadway - 24-03-2021

- Prepared 3 pallet collars RB's for potatoes. Last year I just used a bulb planter and they came out alright (although one of the old fellas at the allotment looked at me like I was a martian, well southernerSmileSmile) This year I've prepared mini trenches and then used the bulb planter, so probably 2 - 3 inches deeper than last year.

- Potted on a Good King Henry division I received today although I'm still persevering with the seeds I sowed.

- Planted some spare onion sets at the plot.

- Planted 12 Poireau perpetual perennial leeks at the plot.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 24-03-2021

Just to please Vinny, I dug up some more spreading White comfrey and continued with my path reduction plan. Vinny loses weight, I'm losing paths.
Paths = lost growing space + lost energy mowing paths + every edge need trimming
Solution (in a random way) = remove paths that isolate beds = less but bigger beds = path space can be sown with random seeds = even more random veg and flowers. Smile

To reduce maintenance of essential paths = rake beds of fallen leaves, twigs and dead vegetation, and drag it onto path as a mulch. Rake this "mulch" or let the chooks do it for you, to stop anything germinating on the path. That's the plan, anyway. Keeps me out of mischief. Smile

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 24-03-2021

I planted out the modules of shallots into the ground and planted a row of red baron sets. Potted on a Red Robin to pass on to my very elderly neighbours. It will probably be better off in their conservatory than my cold greenhouse.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Eyren - 25-03-2021

Potted up the new blueberry bush and fed the old one, and tidied the patio, as it had turned into an untidy heap of compost bags! Also put out a tray of brassica seedlings and peas for shoots, to make space in the conservatory for my latest sowings.

Our gardener also put in a couple of hours this morning, cutting back some of the trees that overhang the fence at the bottom of the garden, so now it looks a lot tidier. It was nice to see a familiar face again after a long dark winter!

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Broadway - 25-03-2021

- Worked out what to do re constructing the raspberry support, will put it together over the weekend

- Put together a couple of brassica cages/frames from old blowaway bits and pieces. Still needs netting and putting in place

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Bren - 25-03-2021

Potted on aubergines and sown pre chitted peas into guttering.