Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2021 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=754)

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Spec - 11-03-2021

Potted on some fuchsia and moved some aster out of the propagator

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 12-03-2021

Upset some seedling pots from the front room windowsill onto a cream carpet. Whoops! Hovering and resowing, methinks, in that order. I had hoped to avoid vacuuming for at least another few weeks. Big Grin

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Vinny - 12-03-2021

Bought four 40 litre bags of supposed peat free potting compost from Aldi to use as mulch on my beds. Cool In my view, at £1.99 a bag as long as it is organic matter I don't particularly care about the quality. Rolleyes

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Small chilli - 12-03-2021

I’ve finished my week of playing with chillies in the kitchen.  Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin

RE: 2021 - What I did today - doublyjonah - 13-03-2021

Went to the plot, direct sowed a few things just in case it's not too early... Got pelted with hail on the way home!

RE: 2021 - What I did today - toomanytommytoes - 13-03-2021

(12-03-2021, 04:23 PM)Vinny Wrote: Bought four 40 litre bags of supposed peat free potting compost from Aldi to use as mulch on my beds. Cool In my view, at £1.99 a bag as long as it is organic matter I don't particularly care about the quality. Rolleyes
What's it like? Last time I bought some a few years ago it was very muddy in texture and contains bits of plastic. I understand the quality differs from region to region.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Eyren - 13-03-2021

Managed to dodge the hailstones for long enough to get two dozen strawberry runners planted up in a tower. Not one of the fancy pottery ones (I have a blue-glazed one that looks pretty but isn't big enough for strawbs - plus it's too heavy for me to move!) but an Elho plastic one that consists of 4 three-lobed planters that stack on top of one another. I put it on an old stand with casters so I can turn it round regularly to ensure all the plants get some light.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Small chilli - 13-03-2021

I took all my chilli & tomato babies for their first visit to the polytunnel and gave all their pots a nice little top dressing of grit. Repotted a couple of them at the same time. Cut back the dead on the delicate mint varieties. Finished cleaning the chilli tunnel.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Vinny - 13-03-2021

(13-03-2021, 04:43 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 04:23 PM)Vinny Wrote: Bought four 40 litre bags of supposed peat free potting compost from Aldi to use as mulch on my beds. Cool In my view, at £1.99 a bag as long as it is organic matter I don't particularly care about the quality. Rolleyes
What's it like? Last time I bought some a few years ago it was very muddy in texture and contains bits of plastic. I understand the quality differs from region to region.
Just the opposite Tmtt, very dry and similar to sawdust. Light in colour. I have sowed some seeds in it, but the water seems to drain straight through it. Deffo carp as a potting compost.

TBH I have been using Poundlands potting compost at £1.50 for a 20 litre bag which suits my minimal needs and will use the Aldi stuff as a reasonably cheap mulch. Smile

RE: 2021 - What I did today - toomanytommytoes - 13-03-2021

Might buy a bag to see what it's like then.