Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2021 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=754)

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 01-11-2021

(31-10-2021, 05:16 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Meanwhile we are still waiting for the drought to break, although we've had a mm yesterday, and another today. The ground is still pretty hard to work, but I got another five spring cabbages in, weeded the gravel, cleared the old leaves from the winter cabbages and dug out a few mole runs.
Set up the bird feeder and found that the bird seed in a plastic box left over from last year was full of weevils. We've been finding the odd one in the utility room but I don't know how they got out of the box as the lid was tightly shut!!

The birds may be partial to a few weevils.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 01-11-2021

Cleared out a bit more in the greenhouse and made 3 loaves sourdough bread. The kitchen tap was playing up so I went looking for a screwdriver in the shed. I moved a couple of tools in the box and got a shock as I saw something move at the bottom. The lighting wasn't very good but I realised it was the toad. It didn't look the most comfortable place to spend the winter if that is what it intends.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 02-11-2021

Woke up this morning to frost on the cars so went and collected in all the ripe squash and pumpkins. They are now sitting in a greenhouse in a wheelbarrow till I cn deal with them tomorrow.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 02-11-2021

It's the start of the silly leaf raking/collecting season here. Although I don't think it's silly really, the first batch of copper beech leaves collected up today stored until we have a huge pile for mowing to smithereens for my compost bins. Lovely stuff. It is a little depressing looking at the trees and seeing how many more there are to come down though.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Small chilli - 05-11-2021

Took some hydrangea cuttings pink & blue unfortunately they got mixed up so will have to wait to find out colour. Also got some bright pink climbing rose cuttings.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Vinny - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 05:40 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Took some hydrangea cuttings pink & blue unfortunately they got mixed up so will have to wait to find out colour. Also got some bright pink climbing rose cuttings.
I thought the blue or pink colour was dictated by how acid or alkaline your soil was?

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Small chilli - 05-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 05:51 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 05:40 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Took some hydrangea cuttings pink & blue unfortunately they got mixed up so will have to wait to find out colour. Also got some bright pink climbing rose cuttings.
I thought the blue or pink colour was dictated by how acid or alkaline your soil was?
They’re both in the same garden. no one has done anything to the soil in decades. If he can get someone to mow his lawn its a miracle, let alone anyone do any actual gardening. So I’m guessing they’ll come pink & blue as long as I get some of each to take.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Admin - 05-11-2021

I also thought that Vinny but we have one that is both colours

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Vinny - 06-11-2021

(05-11-2021, 07:11 PM)Admin Wrote: I also thought that Vinny but we have one that is both colours
Mine is both colours with the majority being blue which signifies an acid soil methinks.(I also have rhododendrons in garden)

I gave a cutting to my daughter who lives just up the street and hers is all pink! I believe you can have pockets of acid/neutral/alkaline soil all in one garden? Huh

I do know you can get purples, yellows and whites as well so I have no idea how those would react to soil type?

Probably a case of "Suck it and see" Smile

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Small chilli - 06-11-2021

(06-11-2021, 10:03 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 07:11 PM)Admin Wrote: I also thought that Vinny but we have one that is both colours
Mine is both colours with the majority being blue which signifies an acid soil methinks.(I also have rhododendrons in garden)

I gave a cutting to my daughter who lives just up the street and hers is all pink! I believe you can have pockets of acid/neutral/alkaline soil all in one garden? Huh

I do know you can get purples, yellows and whites as well so I have no idea how those would react to soil type?

Probably a case of "Suck it and see" Smile
There’s white and the really deep blue ones in the same garden. All soil up here is acidic.  A few years ago the owner paid a ridiculous amount of money for a professional soil test for his garden across the road that he wants landscaping. Many locals , gardener and a few professional trades told him it was acidic ,but he had the test done any way because his London based landscaper  Rolleyes  didn’t believe local knowledge. Oddly results came back as acidic  Big Grin .

and yeah I don’t really care what colour I end up with just want the different varieties. The 2 I took cuttings from yesterday were the serrated edged ones.