Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2021 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=754)

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Vinny - 23-10-2021

This morning I went to Rockfit again! Cool 

Looking for Crimbo present for grandkids online now. I already have summat for nearly all of my present list but some of my granddkids are really young and I may push the boat out for these. Wink The others are teenagers so will get clothes.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Spec - 23-10-2021

Sorted a radiator for our daughter what should have been a simple job turned out to be a bit of a problem, plasterboard walls which I was hoping to insert toggle bolts, unfortunately the plasterboard has 4inch insulation behind it so toggle bolts no use, finished up putting a sheet of plywood behind the radiator , was hoping that I could secure it to some battens but there is only one behind it, fortunately its right in the middle of the area covered by the plywood, so glued the plywood secured it down the middle fixed the clips for holding the radiator which is now back on line and issued a warning to grandson not to be using the radiator as a step to sneak out the house, ofcourse he said he didn't do that, but doubt he knows that I travelled this ground before him, once back home I was out in the garden for a wee while

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 23-10-2021

More raking and weeding and edge removal in the middle garden. I've removed so much that I got lost and couldn't remember the way out.Smile
Surprised a big frog who was having a nap in the damp leaves - truth is, he surprised me by jumping out a few inches from my hand!
Its always nice to see frogs in the garden.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 24-10-2021

Very wet this mornng so sowed some Sweet peas in modules and put them in the bedroom out of the way of the meeces. They were all past their Sow by dates (the seeds, not the meeces) so not very hopeful.
This afternoon, rain stopped so planted out 5 young rosemary plants (all grown from cuttings).
Was given a Blackcurrant sage/salvia - planted that as well.
Pulled up more Montbretia and grass. Every bulb and blade removed is a little victory. Big Grin

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 24-10-2021

Picked the last of the toms and pulled up the plants. Pulled out aubs and collected the odd under ripe ones. GH borders are now clear ready for augmentation. I have a few pots of stuff to overwinter but basically the GHs go to sleep in winter.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Veggie - 25-10-2021

Planted some tiny leek seedlings - you can wait forever for them to be pencil thickness and they never seem to manage that!
Took cuttings of Tangerine Sage for the lady who gave me the Blackcurrant sage yesterday.
Was given some Penstemon cuttings so put some in water and some in a pot of compost.
Potted up some rooted sage cuttings.
Cleaned the chooks and gave the Hotbin a feed and stir.
Picked all the green apples off a small tree since Bess was trying to pick them for me and I didn't want any more branches to be snapped off.

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Vinny - 25-10-2021

Called in at Aldi after picking my prescription up and bought some pansies and a thrift plant. I then did a BIG shop whereas I only intended doing a small shop! Rolleyes Impulse buying is my downfall. Sick
Called at allotment on way home and took one of the potted chillies from greenhouse to put onto my kitchen windowsill and see if I can ripen chillies?
After getting home and cooking my Meatless Monday meal which consisted of meatless bacon (yuk) vegetable stir fry and Halloumi, I set to cleaning up the mess I had caused fitting an extractor fan. Dust had managed to get everywhere so it took me about 3 hours just to clean and rearrange the dining room.
My Chromebook is on the blink and the keypad isn't working. I have had to hook up a mouse to the USB port. Time for a new one methinks Rolleyes

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 25-10-2021

Dug up a few more hostas that are full of weeds. They also harbour hundreds of snowdrops that I'll have to find somewhere for. Picked my second and last aubergine of the year and another lb. of raspberries.

We then went shopping for a gas stove (2 ring) that will work from calor gas bottle - we still have one from about 40 years ago that feels about 1/3 full - from when we were living in a caravan while renovating our current house (we're nearly finished but need to start again). The reason being the state of energy supplies in Europe. We are currently all electric so if we have a power cut we lose nearly all our services: lighting/heating/cooking/internet and possibly phones. Recently other European countries have been warning their populations to plan for a prolonged power cut of up to 2 weeks likely sometime in next 5 years. I must get round to having the wood burner fitted that we bought several years ago.

https://lenews.ch/2021/10/18/swiss-president-warns-nation-to-prepare-for-electricity-shortages/

and Austria but you need German:

https://www.bundesheer.at/archiv/a2021/blackout/blackout.shtml

A bit using google translate:

So what could be helpful and useful? Radio with batteries (car radio!) Flashlights or headlamps (including enough spare batteries) Candles, matches, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors Water (2 liters per person per day; 3-5 days), drinks, tea, coffee Non-perishable foods for 2 weeks (pasta, rice, canned food...) Important medications for 2 weeks, first aid kit Hygiene articles, garbage bags, adhesive tapes, cable ties Gas cooker, griller, fuel paste Cash in small notes and coins Sleeping bags, blankets, warm clothes Games, blocks, pens Car always at least half full.Please think for yourself what you need for two weeks to make ends meet. What special needs are there in your household (toddlers, pets, care, etc.)? It is also important to consume the refrigerated goods quickly so that they do not spoil.

Plan like for a fortnightly camping holiday in your own four walls!

RE: 2021 - What I did today - Vinny - 26-10-2021

(25-10-2021, 11:33 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Dug up a few more hostas that are full of weeds. They also harbour hundreds of snowdrops that I'll have to find somewhere for. Picked my second and last aubergine of the year and another lb. of raspberries.

We then went shopping for a gas stove (2 ring) that will work from calor gas bottle - we still have one from about 40 years ago that feels about 1/3 full - from when we were living in a caravan while renovating our current house (we're nearly finished but need to start again). The reason being the state of energy supplies in Europe. We are currently all electric so if we have a power cut we lose nearly all our services: lighting/heating/cooking/internet and possibly phones. Recently other European countries have been warning their populations to plan for a prolonged power cut of up to 2 weeks likely sometime in next 5 years. I must get round to having the wood burner fitted that we bought several years ago.

https://lenews.ch/2021/10/18/swiss-president-warns-nation-to-prepare-for-electricity-shortages/

and Austria but you need German:

https://www.bundesheer.at/archiv/a2021/blackout/blackout.shtml

A bit using google translate:

So what could be helpful and useful? Radio with batteries (car radio!) Flashlights or headlamps (including enough spare batteries) Candles, matches, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors Water (2 liters per person per day; 3-5 days), drinks, tea, coffee Non-perishable foods for 2 weeks (pasta, rice, canned food...) Important medications for 2 weeks, first aid kit Hygiene articles, garbage bags, adhesive tapes, cable ties Gas cooker, griller, fuel paste Cash in small notes and coins Sleeping bags, blankets, warm clothes Games, blocks, pens Car always at least half full.Please think for yourself what you need for two weeks to make ends meet. What special needs are there in your household (toddlers, pets, care, etc.)? It is also important to consume the refrigerated goods quickly so that they do not spoil.

Plan like for a fortnightly camping holiday in your own four walls!
I am on the lookout for a two burner propane gas hob for my camper as well!They are ridiculously expensive so the search goes on. Rolleyes

RE: 2021 - What I did today - JJB - 26-10-2021

If you're interested in figuring where we get our energy this site is very interesting (so P says) whilst we import some, we also export some.

https://gridwatch.co.uk/demand/percent