Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 What I sowed today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I sowed today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: 2021 What I sowed today (/showthread.php?tid=753)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Broadway - 20-03-2021

Resown lavender, garlic chives, and good king henry.

Potted on some rosemary cuttings.

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - JJB - 20-03-2021

DFB aquilon, just 4 in a pot to see what happens.
Marigolds, yellow jacket and brocade red.
Gazania sunshine mixed.

Resowed Brandywine I fear they're a no show but no matter, they were seed swap and I was so pleased for the opportunity.

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Can the Man - 21-03-2021

Just realised I should have posted this here not on the what I did today

sowed the following seeds
Cauliflower- type snowball
Beetroot- golden globe
Radish
Brussel sprouts
Purple dwarf French beans
Peas
I also planted out some curly kale plants in a raised bed.
    [attachment=2433]

I had bought 3 bare root fruit trees for €15 in Lidl yesterday, so I planted them into tubs until I have the little no raised beds ready for them. 2 apple and 1 cherry.

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Broadway - 22-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 01:44 PM)Broadway Wrote: Ok apologies if any of the details below are incorrect. So basically I'm going to have a go growing at least one of each tomato sent to me as part of the seed swap/give away thread thingy. So I have sowed at least 2/3 seeds of each tomato on the list below! The last two were not part of the swap/give away they were kindly sent to me by MamzieSmile

Given my ongoing germination issues what could possibly go wrong?SmileSmile
Well everything went wrongSmile

Whatever did germinate has now flopped over and perished and that wasn't many.

I have sown them all again today. I've decided to give up on my heated prop and use the unheated one sitting downstairs on the windowsill.

Everything was drying out to quickly, shouldn't be and issue downstairs as the small prop trays sit on capillary matting.

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - doublyjonah - 22-03-2021

Productive sowing day! Loads of flowers and a few tomatoes. See ya later, dining table.

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Eyren - 22-03-2021

(22-03-2021, 05:02 PM)Broadway Wrote: Well everything went wrongSmile

I have sown them all again today. I've decided to give up on my heated prop and use the unheated one sitting downstairs on the windowsill.

Everything was drying out to quickly, shouldn't be and issue downstairs as the small prop trays sit on capillary matting.

Oh dear, that's a shame! Does your heated propagator have a thermostat? I find that mine can easily go above the set temperature on a warm sunny day, presumably because it take the base a while to cool down to compensate for the external heat. In a propagator that just raises the temperature a fixed amount, that would be a major problem!

I've cranked up the temperature on mine to try and get the ****ed aubergines to germinate, so everything else is out on the shelves in the conservatory. They don't get as much light there, but hopefully the milder temperatures will toughen them up a little before they need to go out on the patio.

(22-03-2021, 05:02 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 01:44 PM)Broadway Wrote: Ok apologies if any of the details below are incorrect. So basically I'm going to have a go growing at least one of each tomato sent to me as part of the seed swap/give away thread thingy. So I have sowed at least 2/3 seeds of each tomato on the list below! The last two were not part of the swap/give away they were kindly sent to me by MamzieSmile

Given my ongoing germination issues what could possibly go wrong?SmileSmile
Well everything went wrongSmile

I did however get to pot on some Chilli, Sweet Pepper, and Aubergines, should I leave these in the heated prop?

(22-03-2021, 05:21 PM)Eyren Wrote:
(22-03-2021, 05:02 PM)Broadway Wrote: Well everything went wrongSmile

Oh dear, that's a shame! Does your heated propagator have a thermostat? I find that mine can easily go above the set temperature on a warm sunny day, presumably because it take the base a while to cool down to compensate for the external heat. In a propagator that just raises the temperature a fixed amount, that would be a major problem!

I've cranked up the temperature on mine to try and get the ****ed aubergines to germinate, so everything else is out on the shelves in the conservatory. They don't get as much light there, but hopefully the milder temperatures will toughen them up a little before they need to go out on the patio.
No thermostat EyrenSad

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - JJB - 22-03-2021

Sowed three rows of carrots. Solar yellow, cosmic purple, red samurai (not too hopeful there), early nantes 5.

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Eyren - 23-03-2021

Half a dozen seeds of okra "Pure Luck" (soaked overnight) and three aubergine "Kermit" (a bit late, but thought they'd be worth a punt). 

Frankly, after all the joy I've had so far with aubergines, it'll be pure luck if either of the above germinate!