Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 What I sowed today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I sowed today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: 2021 What I sowed today (/showthread.php?tid=753)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Vinny - 17-02-2021

I was let down with my Frenchi red torpedo onion seed. They were supposed to be viable to 2022 but nothing has appeared. In desperation I have sown some from another supplier which are out of date.....but we shall see. Smile

I found a packet of unopened leek seeds from 2002 so as an experiment I have sown them. If any do germinate after 19 years I will be very surprised. Rolleyes

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - JJB - 17-02-2021

(14-02-2021, 04:37 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Re-sowed  chillies (hot lemon, ancho, fatalii yellow, serrano, habenero maya, cayenne - what a depressing list of failures!) and peppers (long red marconi, asti red, californian gold).
Sowed cabbage earliest of all.

I sowed freebie pepper seeds Long Red Marconi on 24 Jan, had given up and just ignored them,  they have only just popped.  Having given up I sowed 3 more on the surface of a different pot of compost as some pepper instructions say dont exclude light, no show.  I even put some to chit in the airing cupboard on 12 Feb but as yet no sign of life.  Either Long Red Marconi have  temperamental germination or it was a duff pkt.  I might end up with more than necessary. Smile

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Eyren - 17-02-2021

(15-02-2021, 06:37 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Sowed 9 different packets of lettuce to see which are still OK. Also 5 different peppers. Not many aubergine seeds so sowed just 3 seeds for now. Do they cross with anything or could I save aubergine seeds without any hassle?

Aubergines are like other Solanaceae, in that they are self-pollinating, and being from the Old World seem unlikely to cross with their New World cousins such as tomatoes or peppers. They will potentially cross-pollinate between varieties, though.

Also you have to leave the fruit until it's overripe and inedible in order for the seeds to develop.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/eggplant/saving-seeds-from-eggplant.htm

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Broadway - 17-02-2021

24 red wilko shallots into modules

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - toomanytommytoes - 17-02-2021

(17-02-2021, 01:25 PM)JJB Wrote:
(14-02-2021, 04:37 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Re-sowed  chillies (hot lemon, ancho, fatalii yellow, serrano, habenero maya, cayenne - what a depressing list of failures!) and peppers (long red marconi, asti red, californian gold).

I sowed freebie pepper seeds Long Red Marconi on 24 Jan, had given up and just ignored them,  they have only just popped.  Having given up I sowed 3 more on the surface of a different pot of compost as some pepper instructions say dont exclude light, no show.  I even put some to chit in the airing cupboard on 12 Feb but as yet no sign of life.  Either Long Red Marconi have  temperamental germination or it was a duff pkt.  I might end up with more than necessary. Smile
Last year I had real problems getting Long Red Marconi to germinate. It was a free packet from GrowSeed. Think one out of about twenty seeds came up, so the rest of the packet got chucked into a garden border. Some pepper seeds just seem to be really stubborn, I've got three varieties of sweet pepper refusing to germinate, not old seed and the supplier maintains they have a good germination rate.

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Spec - 17-02-2021

Sowed 5 different varieties of tomatoes, 2 with a sow by date of 2018, also some cucumber and courgettes

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - PyreneesPlot - 17-02-2021

Mine came up fine but I then had a mass damping off event Sad

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - JJB - 18-02-2021

(17-02-2021, 06:05 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:

Last year I had real problems getting Long Red Marconi to germinate. It was a free packet from GrowSeed. Think one out of about twenty seeds came up, so the rest of the packet got chucked into a garden border. Some pepper seeds just seem to be really stubborn, I've got three varieties of sweet pepper refusing to germinate, not old seed and the supplier maintains they have a good germination rate.

Are Long Red Marconi  a particularly nice pepper?  I only sowed to have an alternative to orange bell peppers that came up prolifically.

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - toomanytommytoes - 18-02-2021

I don't know, slugs got into most of them so they were rotting by the time they were picked. Angry They were quite late to ripen.

RE: 2021 What I sowed today - Veggie - 20-02-2021

Sowed Rainbow Chard, Fordhook Giant Chard, Samish Spinach and Wizard Field beans and Bunyards Exhibition Broad beans.
All in modules - they'll stay indoors at room temp until there are signs of germination.