Garden And Gossip Forums
Chrysanthemums - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: All about Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Chrysanthemums (/showthread.php?tid=747)

Pages: 1 2 3

Chrysanthemums - Spec - 31-12-2020

I would like to grow some chrysants this coming year it has been number of years since I last grew them, so need to buy some, sadly all the people that I knew that went in for them are no longer here, so looking for recommendations of growers, not fussy about a big name grower as a long as they have early varieties and do mail order, the lates need protection here and I don't have the space for that T. I. A.

RE: Chrysanthemums - Scarlet - 31-12-2020

I use Chrysanthemum direct online. £3 each - I can't remember postage costs but the quality is good and I've used them for several years.
I didn't grow any last year. I took loads of cuttings and then let them dryout Sad
I had loads of dahlia cuttings so I thought I had enough in my plate but I will get a few more this year.

Martin is your man for Chrysanthemum growing. He may spot this thread.

Actually Martin had a little blog he started on Chrysanths - I hope he spits this as he may give us a link!

RE: Chrysanthemums - Spec - 31-12-2020

Thanks Scarlet, I will look them up, I've never tried a plate of dahlias, did they taste okRolleyes Smile

Yes! Dahlias served any way is just a beautiful thing!

RE: Chrysanthemums - Veggie - 31-12-2020

Dahlias have edible roots and chrysanthemums have edible flowers or is it leaves?
Check before you eat. Smile

I have now ordered some chrysants from chrysanthemum direct Scarlet, delivery from 5th. April so looking forward to giving them a try again

RE: Chrysanthemums - Small chilli - 31-12-2020

Never grown chrysanthemum so I’m going to ask a stupid question! Sorry  Blush . Why plants? Are plants better than seeds for starting chrysanthemum?

They should go well with the 4 different varieties of dahlia seeds that I will be sowing this spring, all I need now is ground to grow them on, I think there will be a lot of MFBs in use next summer

(31-12-2020, 09:34 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Never grown chrysanthemum so I’m going to ask a stupid question! Sorry  Blush . Why plants? Are plants better than seeds for starting chrysanthemum?
All flowers can be grown from seed, but the named varieties are propagated from cuttings, or possibly the more modern method of cell propagating, it is also easier to look after  rooted cuttings than seedlings and of course there are set dates for disbudding to give what might be called show quality flower heads, it also takes 4 months to get flowers from seed, which may mean a short flowering season, as there could be frost here in September, but of course no question is stupid and I just hope I haven't given you a stupid answer Rolleyes