Garden And Gossip Forums
Cuttings dilemma - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Plots, pots and gardens (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: Growing at home (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Cuttings dilemma (/showthread.php?tid=593)

Pages: 1 2

Cuttings dilemma - Small chilli - 18-10-2020

As most of you know and are probably very board of hearing about  Big Grin . I’m taking lots of cuttings for my new garden. What do you think would be the best course of action with the cuttings that are doing very well and now nicely established? Do I 
A. Leave them where they are. ( currently lot’s of different varieties of cuttings, some getting quite large in fish boxes)
B. Pot them into their own pots. So roots don’t get any more tangled together.
C. Something I’ve not thought of ? 

Advice please

RE: Cuttings dilemma - Bren - 18-10-2020

SC I'd go with either their own pots or is it possible to plant them in a nursery bed on your new garden in a out of the way corner.

RE: Cuttings dilemma - Veggie - 18-10-2020

Maybe take out the biggest ones and pot up although, if you're going to be planting them out into their permanent positions early next year you'll probably be able to tease the roots apart anyway.
They'll be dormant over winter, maybe putting down more roots - but probably a good time to move plants around. In spring, they'll be actively growing.

In other words, I don't know and if it was me, and being naturally lazy, I'd probably do nothing.Wink

RE: Cuttings dilemma - JJB - 18-10-2020

I'd pot them up if you have enough pots. Then if in the spring you're too busy building they would sit for a while until you're ready.

RE: Cuttings dilemma - Norfolk Grey - 18-10-2020

I would leave them now, one because we are going in to the colder dormant months and two because I am lazy. Just watch for slugs and their eggs and weevil grubs.

RE: Cuttings dilemma - Small chilli - 18-10-2020

Thanks for the 50/50 split on answering  Big Grin   Tongue 

Here is one of the 3 fish boxes I’ve got with cuttings in it. Would of posted photo on my first post but hadn’t taken them then. 

[attachment=1462]  [attachment=1463]

RE: Cuttings dilemma - JJB - 18-10-2020

I think SC, with so many differing views, you could do exactly what suits you.

Most, if not all, of those cuttings are deciduous and will soon become a cluster of twigs until spring. When do you plant to plant them out because you may not know which is which unless you split them now or label them.

RE: Cuttings dilemma - Small chilli - 18-10-2020

I can’t see them getting planted for at least 12/18 months. I know I’ve gotta selection of fuchsia , burburis , hydrangea and some things I don’t know what they are (mostly under the fuchsia). I’ll be asking for ID on those when they’re a bit bigger and not hiding.
Do you think I’ve started collecting cuttings a bit early? I was hoping for quite well established plant by time planting came round. Sort of plant them and have an instant garden. Is that nuts?!

Not at all nuts.
If they're going to be in pots for 12/18 months, I'd go with pot up the biggest first, which will leave more room for the hidden ones to grow.