Garden And Gossip Forums
Special Offers - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Bargain basement (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Special Offers (/showthread.php?tid=366)

RE: Special Offers - JJB - 14-11-2020

(14-11-2020, 07:03 PM)Spec Wrote: JJB would you recommend redskin dahlias, I have never tried that veriety, but am looking for something nice to mass plant in a new bed next to my potio

Spec, don't ask me about anything flowery, I'm a right numpty in that area.  I just happened to see Redskins on the Suttons sale website and thought they might be nice and a little more spectacular than the bog standard dwarf bedding ones I grew this year which were unremarkable and 4ft high.   Then looked on Premier Seeds and saw the stocked them too.  So if I get some seed I will be as knowledgeable as you.  Wink  I think Scarlet is our go to person for flowers.

RE: Special Offers - Spec - 14-11-2020

Thanks for the reply JJB, perhaps I will need to tiptoe when near Scarlet, but yes she is our dahlia expert, Smile and no I am not trying to butter you up Scarlet, I know you have a lot more experience than meRolleyes Big Grin

RE: Special Offers - MartinH - 15-11-2020

I grew a packet of Redskin many years ago. They were really easy to grow and I thought that the bronze foliage sets off the flowers really well. I seem to remember they were only a foot or so tall, but memory is getting vague these days.

RE: Special Offers - Spec - 15-11-2020

^^^^^^ I wouldn't worry too much about that Martin, I am quite sure Veggie will be the same at her age, but she still manages Big Grin as for the dahlias, that is the hight I am looking for, so thanks for that info

RE: Special Offers - JJB - 16-11-2020

(15-11-2020, 07:44 PM)Spec Wrote: ^^^^^^ I wouldn't worry too much about that Martin, I am quite sure Veggie will be the same at her age, but she still manages Big Grin  as for the dahlias, that is the hight I am looking for, so thanks for that info

I think Redskins might be a definite maybe for both of us Spec. I must add them to my seed wishlist.

RE: Special Offers - Veggie - 22-11-2020

With "Black Friday" approaching, most of the seed companies have special offers - even if its just Free P&P. My advice - don't order any seeds until next weekend.
Also Mr F gives you 2 free packets of seed with every order - even if you only order one packet. I did this twice in one day last year and there was no problem. Smile

Can't remember the seed varieties at the moment - think its a blue Clary and lemon Coriander.

RE: Special Offers - JJB - 22-11-2020

Van Meuwen have a £1 seed sale, but at £4.95 delivery, I'm afraid I'm not tempted

RE: Special Offers - Veggie - 22-11-2020

Van Meuwen are part of T&M - so I'm not tempted either!

RE: Special Offers - toomanytommytoes - 22-11-2020

£4.95 for delivery of seeds is an absolute rip off, not sure how they justify charging that much when lots of other seed companies manage with £2 or under. I only ever order from Thompson & Morgan if they have free postage and a seed sale combined. Let's hope black Friday gives us a chance to rip them off instead Big Grin

RE: Special Offers - JJB - 22-11-2020

(22-11-2020, 03:37 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: £4.95 for delivery of seeds is an absolute rip off, not sure how they justify charging that much when lots of other seed companies manage with £2 or under. I only ever order from Thompson & Morgan if they have free postage and a seed sale combined. Let's hope black Friday gives us a chance to rip them off instead Big Grin

To be fair, T&M do delivery on seeds only at £2.99, but that's still too much if you only want a couple of pkts.  I usually succumb to ordering a few bedding mini plugs in early spring, but for the last 3/4 yrs I got them free eventually, because I moaned so robustly about the quality they gave me a refund with extra plants thrown in, so they've made no money out of me Big Grin