Garden And Gossip Forums
Special Offers - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Bargain basement (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Special Offers (/showthread.php?tid=366)

RE: Special Offers - toomanytommytoes - 04-03-2022

Not really a special offer, but Premier Seeds Direct have just started stocking a few new blight resistant tomatoes. Rose Crush F1 is a pink beefsteak and Nagina F1 (also known as Crimson Plum) is a plum. Both are from the same breeder who created Crimson Crush and the others in that line. They're priced at £1.09 for a packet of 10 seeds which to me is excellent value.

RE: Special Offers - Farendwoman - 06-03-2022

Bought Homebase multi purpose own brand last week .
3 bags of 100l for £18.
I think they are selling off the compost that contains peat at a reduced price just to get shot of it.
I haven’t had much success with seed sowing or taking cuttings in peat free compost. I’m going to start seeds and cuttings off in this before transplanting to peat free compost.

RE: Special Offers - SarrissUK - 06-03-2022

Wow, that is SO cheap FEW! I've already got a stack of compost bags here, but that's too good not to pick up on. I'm going to Hull to pick up lol

(06-03-2022, 12:02 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Wow, that is SO cheap FEW! I've already got a stack of compost bags here, but that's too good not to pick up on. I'm going to Hull to pick up lol
You can check on the Homebase website and it tells you how many are in stock at your local stores. All you do is input your post code for click and collect.last time I looked it varied between 0 and 300 depending on which store.
incidentally I was expecting to be “told off” for buying compost with peat in it - so thanks all!

Another good buy at Lidl yesterday. Really good sized camellia plants in large pots for £9.99.
I treated myself to three (eek!!) - two deep pink and one white. I’m going to plant them as screening to hide my fruit cage.

I don't usually buy peat compost, and I don't advocate for it either, quite the contrary, but the bargain queen has a very strong voice inside of me and today she was shouting loudly. The staff mentioned that they won't get anymore deliveries of that particular compost, so maybe it's end of the line? Either way, now I have enough compost for quite a while lol

RE: Special Offers - Scarlet - 06-03-2022

(06-03-2022, 08:29 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: Bought Homebase multi purpose own brand last week .
3 bags of 100l for £18.
I think they are selling off the compost that contains peat at a reduced price just to get shot of it.
I haven’t had much success with seed sowing or taking cuttings in peat free compost. I’m going to start seeds and cuttings off in this before transplanting to peat free compost.
There's 380 bags left in my preferred local store....zero in all the others in any reasonable distance. 

for dahlias etc, large stuff I can use anything. I often use mostly my own and top with bought but I find peat free is often too lumpy for seed starting.

RE: Special Offers - Veggie - 06-03-2022

Since they closed all the Homebase stores in my home town, it would cost me more in petrol to drive to the nearest store than to buy compost locally. Shame as I used to like Homebase for its yellow sticker plants.

RE: Special Offers - toomanytommytoes - 06-03-2022

I don't use peat compost but understand why people do: it's readily available, affordable, consistent in texture, easy to grow stuff in... Unfortunately the compost companies have been too slow to produce viable, peat free alternatives. It wasn't so long ago that your only option was New Horizon or some green waste rubbish. Unfortunately a lot of peat free costs too much and prices have crept up quite a bit from last year, so I think people will continue to buy peat compost until it's gone.

One of my local garden centres is stocking two new peat frees this year to make it four in total, but they're all made by one of two giant companies. We got a bag of the new Levington peat free which seemed alright until I started finding lots of bits of shredded plastic in it. Nowhere on the bag did it say it contained green waste compost. Why am I paying £6.99 for 50 L of bark, grit and green waste?

(06-03-2022, 11:20 PM)Veggie Wrote: Since they closed all the Homebase stores in my home town, it would cost me more in petrol to drive to the nearest store than to buy compost locally. Shame as I used to like Homebase for its yellow sticker plants.

Yeah I found a few of them today too lol I don't normally bother when I go with Jay, because he gets bored, but I did today and found lots of spring flowers for pennies. I'll be planting them out asap if I don't go down with covid in sympathy for Jay.