Garden And Gossip Forums
Beetroot and baby beets - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Kitchen Talk (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: DIY Kitchen (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Beetroot and baby beets (/showthread.php?tid=291)

Beetroot and baby beets - JJB - 29-06-2020

I love the baby beets just boiled or roasted as a veg and OH likes them pickled or just doused in vinegar.   As they get bigger I sometimes add a sauce, probably horseradish or a sweet one like in Harvard Beets.

I'm looking for recommendations from all of you as to your favourite way of preparing beetroot.
I expect we should eventually have a similar thread for courgette recipes when the glut comes

Mods if this should go under the relevant veg type  please move

RE: Beetroot and baby beets - Veggie - 29-06-2020

My favourite way to eat beetroot is plain boiled/microwaved; cut into slices and put in a buttered wholemeal bread sandwich!
However, I'm tempted to try beetroot burgers - lots of recipes out there- and I haven't tried any of them yet.

RE: Beetroot and baby beets - Can the Man - 29-06-2020

I love mine oven roasted and served with soft creamy goats cheese on a puff pastry disc about the size of a side plate that has been spread with a nice chutney like Fig or apple.

RE: Beetroot and baby beets - toomanytommytoes - 29-06-2020

Grated raw with equal parts carrot and a dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar and a bit of salt.

RE: Beetroot and baby beets - JJB - 29-06-2020

(29-06-2020, 07:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: My favourite way to eat beetroot is plain boiled/microwaved; cut into slices and put in a  buttered wholemeal bread sandwich!
However, I'm tempted to try beetroot burgers - lots of recipes out there- and I haven't tried any of them yet.

Funny that, Paul introduced me to beetroot sandwiches,  he uses vinegared beets, not my favourite. Although anything in buttered wholemeal bread has my vote.

RE: Beetroot and baby beets - Veggie - 29-06-2020

I don't like malt vinegar on beets but raspberry vinegar is lovely.
(Pour white vinegar over raspberry pulp or any other fruit pulp left after you've made a jelly preserve, not a jam).

RE: Beetroot and baby beets - JJB - 29-06-2020

(29-06-2020, 07:49 PM)Veggie Wrote: I don't like malt vinegar on beets but raspberry vinegar is lovely.
(Pour white vinegar over raspberry pulp or any other fruit pulp left after you've made a jelly preserve, not a jam).

I'll deffo try that, thanks V.

RE: Beetroot and baby beets - Veggie - 07-08-2020

I pickled some beetroot this week - here's my top tip that I've never tried before.

Use an Egg slicer (those things with wires for hardboiled eggs) to slice the beetroot into even thickness slices. Worked perfectly.  Cool

RE: Beetroot and baby beets - PyreneesPlot - 07-08-2020

You'll all be shocked to hear that I have a nice beetroot curry recipe ...
I've also made beetroot and potato gnocchi - a startling pink, but tasted good Smile
Grated and added to a potato rosti, grated and added to lentil or chick pea burger/fritter.patties. Very pretty!

So, that curry -
For two people as part of a multi-dish meal
4 or 5 beets, roots and leaves
Tsp cumin seeds
Half an onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped finely or minced
Thumb-sized lump of fresh ginger, grated, minced or finely chopped
Fresh chillies - I use 1/2 a fatalii, 1 serrano or 2 jalapenos - to taste, finely chopped
1/2 tsp tumeric
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Veg oil to fry - tbs

Prep the beets - remove the tops and coarsly chop, peel the roots if necessary then chop into wedges (I usually use cylindra, so about eight bits).
Dry roast the cumin seeds in a heavy based pan with a lid, leave in the pan and add the oil to a medium heat and fry the garlic and onion until the egdes just pick up a little colour. Add the ginger and then the chilli, frying gently between each addition for a minute or two.
Add the tumeric, stir once and then add the beets, leaves, roots & stems. Stir to mix, add a couple of tbs water, cover tightly and steam over a low heat until the roots are cooked.
Season salt and a goodly amount of black pepper. A very forgiving dish that holds, freezes and reheats very well.