Garden And Gossip Forums
2020 - Tell us what you did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2020 - Tell us what you did today (/showthread.php?tid=167)

RE: Tell us what you did today - JJB - 12-12-2020

Had to smile at the image of Danny pottering in a coal bunker. Our ex-coal bunker, now sand/gravel store is 3ft x 3ft x 3ft ish - not sure I'd even fit in it. Smile

RE: Tell us what you did today - Can the Man - 12-12-2020

Brought my grandchildren to drive thru Santa at a local farm, then hit Eddie Rockets for the Buffalo Wings with hot Franks sauce and blue cheese dip

RE: Tell us what you did today - Broadway - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 08:15 PM)JJB Wrote: Had to smile at the image of Danny pottering in a coal bunker.  Our ex-coal bunker, now sand/gravel store is 3ft x 3ft x 3ft ish - not sure I'd even fit in it. Smile
I'd probably fit in that JJBSmile

I call it a bunker, not sure what the proper name is, picture below, left open door bunker, right blue door was the outdoor toilet.
[attachment=1772]

RE: Tell us what you did today - Veggie - 12-12-2020

What's behind the red door???

RE: Tell us what you did today - Broadway - 13-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 10:57 PM)Veggie Wrote: What's behind the red door???
Hiya Veggie

Not sure it's next doors. Bless her she moved into a home opposite us in the summer, better for her as she was losing it a little.

She did used to make me laugh, every time she saw me with Stella she'd ask "what's his name" and say "isn't he fat", she did always end it with "he must be loved". SmileSmile

RE: Tell us what you did today - JJB - 13-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 09:53 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 08:15 PM)JJB Wrote: Had to smile at the image of Danny pottering in a coal bunker.  Our ex-coal bunker, now sand/gravel store is 3ft x 3ft x 3ft ish - not sure I'd even fit in it. Smile

I call it a bunker, not sure what the proper name is, picture below, left open door bunker, right blue door was the outdoor toilet.

That's a wonderful hidey hole Danny, definitely a place to hide from the Mrs.  I was puzzling about what was hanging from the door, thinking it was Christmas baubles in a long plastic bag, then figured it was pop bottle cloches.  Novel way to store sq pots too.......please sir I want that particular one in the middleBig Grin
Now all you need is some leccy and you'll have light.  I'm dead jealous. I too, want to know what's behind the red door.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Spec - 13-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 09:53 PM)Broadway Wrote:

I would call that a coalhouse, Danny but possibly Veggie might have a different name for it as she will remember places like that being in use

RE: Tell us what you did today - Veggie - 13-12-2020

Definitely a coalhouse and I remember the outside toilet next door. They should bring them back - so useful when you're gardening! Not so good on a freezing night when you don't have an indoor one though. Smile

BBCWales made a reality TV series called The Coal House, set in the 1920s. Worth a watch if you want to see what life was like when Spec was young.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lbrhm

RE: Tell us what you did today - Spec - 13-12-2020

Oh outside toilets, where I stayed, when I was young, there was one quite similar to the on in Danny's photo, just outside the close next to the wash house which about 16 people used, if occupied the next was 80yards away with a further 6 people included if occupied a further 40ft. to go for the next one but you had to be careful when using this one as the branches could give a nasty scratch especially at night in the dark with just a wee paraffin lampRolleyes

RE: Tell us what you did today - Veggie - 13-12-2020

(13-12-2020, 05:17 PM)Spec Wrote: ...........especially at night in the dark with just a wee paraffin lampRolleyes
Amazing - running a lamp on wee.Tongue

You knew i'd say something. Wink