Garden And Gossip Forums
2020 - Tell us what you did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2020 - Tell us what you did today (/showthread.php?tid=167)

RE: Tell us what you did today - Broadway - 05-11-2020

Foraged some more sloes, I think! (See other thread)

Collected two more bags of leaves.

Went on a newish walk to scout for more leaves.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Small chilli - 05-11-2020

Cleaned so Beth alpha cucumber seeds. Finished emptying beds 1&2 and covered them. Tunnel one is completely shut up for the winter now. Moved salad bar into the tunnel for winter as well.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Vinny - 05-11-2020

I am fascinated with growing leeks vegetatively It amazes me that a single seed leek can produce so many progeny from a single head. Cool

Even at this time of year, when separated from the parent plant, and without heat, this leek 'grass' roots very quickly and within a couple of days I have sturdy little plants. I have 70 plants at present grown from one leek head and could if I wanted probably cultivate many more. These leeklets grow much faster and stronger than leeks grown from seed and don't seem to require the same amount of heat as seed grown leeks.
Most of the leeks that reach the show bench are grown by this method and I can understand the reasons why show growers are so passionate about this part of leek growing.
I don't show my leeks but have to admit I enjoy this means of propagation. Big Grin

RE: Tell us what you did today - Bren - 05-11-2020

Sown peas I've had in the sprouter for a couple of days,
picked sweet pea seeds for next years sowings.
raked leaves.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Can the Man - 05-11-2020

(04-11-2020, 08:03 PM)Spec Wrote: Watered my new raised bed with some diluted acetic acid (vinigar) also pulled tomatoes and removed the last of my tomato plants from the greenhouse, I have never had tomatoes as late as this before
Spec why would you water your raised bed with diluted acetic acid ?

RE: Tell us what you did today - Spec - 05-11-2020

(05-11-2020, 09:35 PM)Can the Man Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 08:03 PM)Spec Wrote: Watered my new raised bed with some diluted acetic acid (vinigar) also pulled tomatoes and removed the last of my tomato plants from the greenhouse, I have never had tomatoes as late as this before
Spec why would you water your raised bed with diluted acetic acid ?

Trying to kill off flatworms, not sure if it will work or not but won't know if I don't try

RE: Tell us what you did today - Mark_Riga - 06-11-2020

(05-11-2020, 07:50 PM)Vinny Wrote: I am fascinated with growing leeks vegetatively It amazes me that a single seed leek can produce so many progeny from a single head. Cool

I don't show my leeks but have to admit I enjoy this means of propagation. Big Grin

Not sure what you are doing here and would be interested to try. I regularly have leeks go to seed but they always produce heads of seeds not small leeks?

RE: Tell us what you did today - Proserpina - 06-11-2020

I got my mortgage agreement in principle sorted and have started making enquiries about houses with suitable gardens. Would love to be in somewhere by spring, but that might be a bit overly optimistic. Still, I can dream!

RE: Tell us what you did today - Vinny - 06-11-2020

(06-11-2020, 12:03 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(05-11-2020, 07:50 PM)Vinny Wrote: I am fascinated with growing leeks vegetatively It amazes me that a single seed leek can produce so many progeny from a single head. Cool

Not sure what you are doing here and would be interested to try. I regularly have leeks go to seed but they always produce heads of seeds not small leeks?
This article may shed a bit more light.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable-show/vegetative-propagation-blanch-leeks/

Mine are Pot leeks but similar to propagate.

RE: Tell us what you did today - Broadway - 06-11-2020

Interesting