Garden And Gossip Forums
Free Plants from Cuttings - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Plots, pots and gardens (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: Growing at home (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Free Plants from Cuttings (/showthread.php?tid=1074)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Free Plants from Cuttings - Garrett - 04-10-2021

I've did cuttings of blackcurrant sage in water which all rooted and have since been potted up. My pineapple sage cuttings didn't root at all this time though so I've done more and put them in compost. Usually they're successful.

I also did cuttings of lemon verbena and fuchsia in compost which all took.

I use either method, I don't have a firm rule about these things.

RE: Free Plants from Cuttings - Veggie - 04-10-2021

^^^ Good to meet another fruity sage enthusiast.Smile

RE: Free Plants from Cuttings - Garrett - 04-10-2021

Yes, I have blackcurrant and pineapple sages which I've kept going through cuttings for at least a decade. I used to have the tangerine sage too, but I didn't like that one as much.

I don't have the blackcurrant sage (yet) but my pineapple sage survives outside over winter without problems. I 've just bought a Honey Melon sage and a Golden Pineapple (same smell as the ordinary one but with yellow leaves. I must take some cuttings of these, just in case they don't survive outdoors.

RE: Free Plants from Cuttings - Scarlet - 04-10-2021

I took cuttings of my species geranium - I think a lemon one and a variety that may be
Attar Roses? ...something like that. Smells of Turkish delight

Time will tell, fingers crossed they take.

How did you do them, Scarlet,- a few bits around the edge of a pot?
I have some that I want to take soon.

RE: Free Plants from Cuttings - JJB - 05-10-2021

Veggie and Garret, what do you do with a multitude of different sages, many of the same sort after cuttings have taken? Are you overrun with sage? Smile

RE: Free Plants from Cuttings - JJB - 05-10-2021

Some of the pinks I've cuttings of are the Pink Kisses you got cheap in Morries Veggie, they look to have taken quite well.

RE: Free Plants from Cuttings - Veggie - 05-10-2021

These are the ornamental sort of salvia/sage, rather than culinary and have lovely long red flower spikes. I either swap them or plant them wherever I can walk past and brush against the leaves to enjoy the fragrance. The pineapple sage has been here the longest and they're 4-5' tall (no rude comments please).

RE: Free Plants from Cuttings - Scarlet - 05-10-2021

(04-10-2021, 11:24 PM)Veggie Wrote: How did you do them, Scarlet,- a few bits around the edge of a pot?
I have some that I want to take soon.
Yes, exactly like that. I did a couple a few weeks back and they took fine - but I honestly think it's pot luck with the weather if they take it not?