Garden And Gossip Forums
Sowing Courgettes Outdoors? - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Cucurbit (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Sowing Courgettes Outdoors? (/showthread.php?tid=1007)

Pages: 1 2

Sowing Courgettes Outdoors? - Broadway - 05-04-2021

Evening Folks

I grew a lot of courgettes at the plot last year. These were sown indoors however I wondered how much success people have had sowing direct?

I assume the pro for indoors is you can sow earlier but the con is space requirements.

RE: Outdoor Courgetteslike mine have always been) - Bren - 05-04-2021

I've sown my courgettes today Danny. I never sow seeds direct the slugs/snails munch on them before the seedlings get their first true leaves. Sad

RE: Outdoor Courgetteslike mine have always been) - Broadway - 05-04-2021

(05-04-2021, 07:23 PM)Bren Wrote: I've sown my courgettes today Danny.  I never sow seeds direct the slugs/snails munch on them before the seedlings get  their first true leaves.  Sad
Oh ok thanks BrenSmile

RE: Outdoor Courgetteslike mine have always been) - Vinny - 05-04-2021

In my last allotment Secretary position I had an irate newbie plotholder having a go at me about someone spraying his courgettes with weedkiller.
I had to explain to him that he had planted out courgettes he had bought from the Garden Centre which had been grown under cover, far too early. The simple answer was that the frost had got them. He was not a happy chappie and gave up his plot a short time later. Rolleyes
I will be sowing mine indoors this week but I wouldn't risk sowing outdoors in these parts until early June methinks.

RE: Outdoor Courgetteslike mine have always been) - Veggie - 05-04-2021

(05-04-2021, 07:23 PM)Bren Wrote: I've sown my courgettes today Danny.  I never sow seeds direct the slugs/snails munch on them before the seedlings get  their first true leaves.  Sad
Same here.

RE: Outdoor Courgetteslike mine have always been) - JJB - 05-04-2021

I've been thinking about sowing the courgettes, squashes and cucumbers this week and have always sown them under cover not direct. I'm putting it off because all my warm space is occupied by tomatoes, chillies, peppers and aubergines and we're forecast another cold snap again next week.

RE: Outdoor Courgetteslike mine have always been) - Broadway - 05-04-2021

I've just noticed the title of the thread, not sure what happened there! SmileSmile

RE: Sowing Courgettes Outdoors? - Broadway - 08-04-2021

Thanks looks like the title was updatedSmile

Thanks for all your responses folks, I think I will go with the flow and start indoors however as I have space to play with I will do a couple direct to see how they goSmile

RE: Sowing Courgettes Outdoors? - Jimny14 - 08-04-2021

I tend to sow outdoors, I only show a couple of plants each year. Generally plant the seed then bottle cloche over until it's big enough to stand on it's own two feet. Generally plant in may.

RE: Sowing Courgettes Outdoors? - Broadway - 08-04-2021

(08-04-2021, 01:36 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: I tend to sow outdoors, I only show a couple of plants each year. Generally plant the seed then bottle cloche over until it's big enough to stand on it's own two feet. Generally plant in may.
Thanks Jimny14

Yes I can also utilise the bottle/cloche methodSmile