Garden And Gossip Forums
Seems to be an informed opinion? - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Seems to be an informed opinion? (/showthread.php?tid=1004)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Seems to be an informed opinion? - Vinny - 04-04-2021

I found this very interesting.

https://youtu.be/Xs5TLaByfbk

I'm starting to come round to this Fella's way of thinking..

RE: Seems to be an informed opinion? - Veggie - 04-04-2021

^^^ This is like Click-bait! You've no idea what the "thinking" is until you watch an Ad.
Would you like to give me a clue before I look, Vinny???

RE: Seems to be an informed opinion? - Eyren - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 01:02 PM)Vinny Wrote: I found this very interesting.

https://youtu.be/Xs5TLaByfbk

I'm starting to come round to this Fella's way of thinking..

I've been a fan of Charles Dowding for at least a decade - first with his books "Organic Gardening: the Natural No-Dig Way" and "Salads for All Seasons", and more recently with his YT channel. Unfortunately I wasn't actively gardening for a big chunk of that time, but his work heavily influences my practice.

I wonder if the subject of soil health fell out of favour because biodynamics is frankly a bit woo-woo, what with its astrological planting calendar (which takes into account not just the moon phases, but the position of the moon relative to constellations), not to mention the weird ritual of burying a cow's horn full of manure at a certain magnetic orientation (I kid you not!). Focusing on the scientific aspects that are easy for the layman to grasp, like not using chemical fertilisers or pesticides, probably made the concept a lot more accessible and acceptable, and I think it was a necessary first step before moving onto the bigger picture of positive soil health.

I have to say that the crops that I've grown so far in my raised beds full of (aminopyralid-free) compost have been pretty impressive - they were small over winter but are now putting on growth in leaps and bounds, and are strong and mostly pest-free. I'm looking forward to a more abundant year than ever before!

RE: Seems to be an informed opinion? - Vinny - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 01:12 PM)Veggie Wrote: ^^^ This is like Click-bait! You've no idea what the "thinking" is until you watch an Ad.
Would you like to give me a clue before I look, Vinny???
You've lost me Veggie? I didn't see any ads just interesting information on a you tube post..I have seen a few Charles Dowdings video's and always  though "Yeah, in an ideal world" but the guy deffo knows what he is on about and has come to his own conclusions over a period of time.This one I watched from start to finish. Smile

RE: Seems to be an informed opinion? - Veggie - 04-04-2021

If you'd said it was CD I would have known whether to look or not. As it was, there was an ad of some woman in the kitchen. There are always ads in Youtube now so it has to be worth watching for me to put up with it. I hate ads.Smile

RE: Seems to be an informed opinion? - Vinny - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 05:56 PM)Veggie Wrote: If you'd said it was CD I would have known whether to look or not. As it was, there was an ad of some woman in the kitchen. There are always ads in Youtube now so it has to be worth watching for me to put up with it. I hate ads.Smile
Still haven't found this "Woman in the kitchen" but you are right, I should have listed what the video was about. Rolleyes 

*Wonders* Idea Would it not be worth having a thread for Youtube videos that 'Garden and gossipers' found interesting, educational,informative or even funny?

RE: Seems to be an informed opinion? - Moth - 05-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 05:56 PM)Veggie Wrote: If you'd said it was CD I would have known whether to look or not. As it was, there was an ad of some woman in the kitchen. There are always ads in Youtube now so it has to be worth watching for me to put up with it. I hate ads.Smile

How odd. I never get ads in youtube, any link goes straight to the video. do you sign in to youtube, Veggie? Perhaps that makes a difference.

RE: Seems to be an informed opinion? - Veggie - 05-04-2021

I just followed Vinny's link. Haven't tried again.
They're really irritating if its a music video as it interrupts the flow mid-bar.

RE: Seems to be an informed opinion? - Broadway - 05-04-2021

I get ads all the time, and yes for a majority of the time I'm logged in.

RE: Seems to be an informed opinion? - Proserpina - 05-04-2021

If you have an ad-blocker, you won't see ads on YouTube unless you choose to turn off the ad-blocker for specific channels to support content creators that you like. Most good content creators don't take the mick and you just have to watch a couple of ads at the start to support them (and the ads are usually skippable after 10 - 20 seconds if you get stuck with something really long). Good quality content is expensive to make in terms of equipment and time and it's at least equivalent to a part-time job for many (and a full-time job for some), so it's good to try and support any creators whose content you access regularly. Generally speaking, if I like a channel enough to subscribe, I'll also turn off my ad-blocker for it. Even the most successful gardening channel creators aren't raking in mega-bucks like the big YouTube stars (well, perhaps with the exception of Liziqi who must be doing exceptionally well and whose fabulous videos are well worth watching, but is more of a fantasy rural lifestyle creator than a gardener), so please consider watching their ads.